Plain, simple instructions for web + Mac

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
zarlino

Plain, simple instructions for web + Mac

Post by zarlino »

Would some kind soul please post some plain simple jargon-free instructions on installing and using the web client with Mac OSX (Snow Leopard)? And would some other kind administrative soul perhaps consider making that answer a sticky?

I have 2 machines, 1 running 10.6, the other 10.4.11, with the latest possible version of Transmission on each. Web client is, supposedly, activated on both. The newer machine can access its own Transmission via the web, but I don't see that as a particularly useful feature. But if it tries to access the older machine, Safari fails to open the page "because the server isn't responding" (and no, it isn't asleep or anything). If I attempt to access the newer machine from my iPod, I get "409: Conflict Your request has an invalid session-id header ... (gobbledegook) ... add the updated header to your requests ... (more gobbledegook) ... prevent CSRF ... etc." What requests? All I did was type an address in the address bar. Attempting to access the older machine from the iPod gives the usual "server stopped responding". It's a total mess.

The program works so well, is so neat and cool, it's really frustrating that the web interface, which would be really useful, is unusable because apparently completely undocumented.
zarlino

Re: Plain, simple instructions for web + Mac

Post by zarlino »

Thanks. Tried both of those before posting.

The laptop and desktop can now see each other. It was enough to open port 9091 in the firewall on the older one (System preferences > Sharing > Firewall), allow incoming connections to Transmission on the newer (System preferences > Security > Firewall). Perhaps someone would add those obvious but easily over-looked steps to the instructions?

The iPod can't access either machine, every attempt met with "409 ... invalid session-id header ...". Reloading merely reloads the same stuff. Any suggestions on how to actually fix this?