Move data on synology NAS

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
backspaces

Move data on synology NAS

Post by backspaces »

I'm using a synology nas box with the web interface. (Great product .. I'm a paying user for sure!) I'd like to move my torrent data files to a different folder. Can I do that? If so, how? Wasn't too clear from the GUI .. er WUI :)

I'm fine changing the "default folder" to the new location, and changing the dir for the 6 torrents I have to be the new location as well.

And what the heck, I suppose I can just delete all the torrents, aim at the new folder, restart using the .torrent files, and press on.

TIA,

-- Owen
rb07

Re: Move data on synology NAS

Post by rb07 »

In the "WUI" select all your torrents, then right-click to bring the context menu, and select "Set Location..." (remember the path used is from the daemon's stand point, don't use a Windows path).
backspaces

Post by backspaces »

Thanks rb. I tried this, using the Transmission WUI, and it didn't seem to work. No errors or anything but the files remained in the same folder. I think the problem may be that I'm trying to move the torrent data files across "shares" .. they may act as different partitions although I don't see why Transmission would care .. a "mv" vs a "cp" I guess.

Do you know if I can simply move the folder to the new location using the synology DSM, and then telling Transmission about it somehow?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

backspaces wrote:No errors or anything but the files remained in the same folder. I think the problem may be that I'm trying to move the torrent data files across "shares"
If the path you specify is invalid (from the daemon stand point), nothing will happen, which is probably what you are seeing.

Moving "across shares" makes no sense from the daemon stand point, there are no "shares" on Linux, you are thinking either "Windows shares", or mount points. For the first one, I already said: don't use Windows paths. For the second, there is no problem, the daemon can do the move (same mount point) or the copy (different mount points), it makes no difference.
backspaces wrote:Do you know if I can simply move the folder to the new location using the synology DSM, and then telling Transmission about it somehow?
Yes, but not with the WUI. The same "Set Location..." function has two sub-options if you use Transmission-Qt (with a remote session), it lets you chose between moving the data, or just setting the location to already existing data.
culturist

Post by culturist »

You can try the "Tr Web Control",like this:
Attachments
Set new location
Set new location
捕获1.PNG (13.52 KiB) Viewed 10739 times
Select the torrent
Select the torrent
捕获.PNG (110.86 KiB) Viewed 10739 times