Access Transmission from outside LAN

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
skeniver

Access Transmission from outside LAN

Post by skeniver »

Hi there,

I'm running Transmission on an OpenELEC Raspberry Pi, which all works great. But I would like to access the web interface from outside my home network, but haven't a clue how to do this. My searching has only brought up port forwarding, which I don't think is quite right (or at least not the whole answer).

Can anybody explain how doing this would work and point me in the right direction to get this set up?

Thanks!
Neil
rb07

Re: Access Transmission from outside LAN

Post by rb07 »

skeniver wrote:port forwarding, which I don't think is quite right
Yes, it is.

You probably don't understand the what/how/where of this.

What? The port in question is not the peer port (which is what Transmission can automatically forward if the router cooperates). The port used for the Web client, and also for RPC, is by default port 9091; that's the one that needs to be forwarded if you want access from outside the LAN.

How? Depends on your router, usually you have to do this manually.

Where? You guessed it: in the router. On Transmission you have to enable it (already done if you have access from the LAN), and set the security options to your liking (password protected, or not; also the router has to have access, it has to be in the list of allowed clients, if that option is enabled).

Some people go one additional step, with more security, by setting a https proxy which receives the (encrypted) connection and forwards it to the daemon. That's something explained in several other topics on this forum.