Error: Read-only file system

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
BillMan

Error: Read-only file system

Post by BillMan »

How do I fix this?

I download a torrent by magnet file, or threw a download link.

This is what it says.

Error: Read-only file system (\\WILAPTOP\Users\BillMan\Downloads/Tortora 9e TB.doc)

As you can see, between Downloads and Tortora, it puts the slash the wrong way, causing it to give a read only error.

How can this be fixed? This is why so many people are having this error thinknig write protection, but it is because of listing directories incorrectly.

It downloads a little bit, and than stops, once it gets the directory created.

Please inform me of a fix.

I am using Version 2.82
BillMan

Re: Error: Read-only file system

Post by BillMan »

I would also like to add, the drive is good. I tried another hard drive and same problem, both passing a chkdsk with no problems.
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

I am also using the web interface, it is on my router.

Both drives are in NTFS format.

This does work with NTFS right? Or does Transmission need to be installed on its own partition, and I can download the files to an NTFS partition at least still?
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

I just tried using Ext 2, 3, and 4. for Linux.
None worked either.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

BillMan wrote:it puts the slash the wrong way, causing it to give a read only error
Not true.

First you're missing one of the most important details: you are using Windows, probably using Transmission-Qt.

Second: the path as shown is valid (Windows allows both forward- and backward slashes as path separator), and not even important (internally only one type of slash is used).

Don't waste time with that detail, its not the cause of any error.
BillMan wrote:it is on my router
Or maybe you're not using Windows... But the message is in Windows format (i.e. \\server\share\...), that's only used with Windows clients, not on any router which mostly run Linux.

Are you using transmission-daemon?
BillMan wrote:does Transmission need to be installed on its own partition
?
No.
BillMan wrote:This does work with NTFS right?
What is "This"?

If "This" is transmission-daemon, it does work with downloads in a NTFS file system, with some limitations. The limitations are on file names, the daemon doesn't handle, or care, about forbidden/invalid NTFS (and FAT32) names.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Wild guess: You added the "\\WILAPTOP\Users\BillMan\Downloads" path in Preferences : Download to: of the Web client.

That path is invalid in Linux. Its only a valid path on Windows (and even there, it may or not work, depending on configuration). Before you ask: no there is no equivalent on Linux -- on Linux you have to mount the remote file system somewhere; then tell Transmission to use that mount point.

So... you are expecting Transmission to magically mount the remote path? It won't. It doesn't mount (any) file systems. That's something you have to do (before transmission-daemon starts).
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

Thank you, I left it alone at //Downloads as well.
I see the folder it tries to install in. However, I still get the same error message.
This is installed on my dd-wrt buffalo N450 router.
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

I'm guessing no one has an answer?
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

I see my question is kinda popular. I'm guessing I'm not the only one getting this.

How is it, not one person has yet, a solution for me?
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

Transmission does have write permission. It does it no matter what network location Is ave too, even on my laptop.
Unless Transmission has a hidden setting of writing, I do not know about?

I will try the single slash and get back to you, did not think that mattered?
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

I tried it with the one slash, just like every other file, a few MB saves and than it just quiets with the Error.
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

I tried it with the one slash, just like every other file, a few MB saves and than it just quiets with the Error.
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

Would anyone care to remote connect to my PC, to check everything out?
AndreDJ

Post by AndreDJ »

Has anyone found a solution to this? I have a similar issue, after a few minutes my HDD (tried several) unmounts (although it's still shown as mounted) and Transmission freaks out. This machine has been running fine for 6+ months (Arch Linux) and this just started out of nowhere, probably after a system update.
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

Why doesn't it just save over SMB?
That would make life easier for everyone.