High RAM usage

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
the98

High RAM usage

Post by the98 »

Hello everyone!

I'm having some trouble with transmission-daemon under Debian Sid. It turns out, Tranmission is using a lot of RAM, something like 600 MB!!

I tried different ideas to see if I could solve the issue, but after hours of trying, I found none. I came to the conclusion that the problem might be that I'm seeding up to 144 torrents. Now, I don't really know if it's normal to expect this amount of RAM usage when sharing many torrents. What do you think?

I should tell that I tried to with a fresh settings file, backuping the previous configuration. In that case I'm not sharing anything (of course) and the RAM usage is like 6 MB. So I'm pretty positive that the problem is the amount of torrents shared, but I'd like to know if that's the case.

Thanks in advance.

Regards!
killemov

Re: High RAM usage

Post by killemov »

Are there torrents with a lot of files (>1000) in that batch? Try again without these ones.
the98

Post by the98 »

killemov wrote:Are there torrents with a lot of files (>1000) in that batch? Try again without these ones.
Yeap. So that is expected? I mean, when you have a lot files. There are like 9000 files. :o

EDIT:

So I stopped sharing some torrents, and RAM usage is down to like 40 MB. We can conclude that was the problem.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
the98

Post by the98 »

Hi, so I guess I jumped to conclusions too early. Deleting some torrent files didn't help me. Everything went back to how it was.

I tried to see what happens when sharing 4 torrents, the memory was up to 70 MB. I think that if I compare that to amuled, which is sharing like 2000 files or so, Transmission is using a lot of RAM. I mean, amuled is not even using 70 MB on its own. I know they are different concepts, Torrents and *mule-sharing, but still, I think this might be some bug.
killemov

Post by killemov »

I have been monitoring memory usage also and have experienced some spikes. I use TM on a low memory device so this leads to swapping. Still, nothing so dramatic it becomes unusable. Then again, I'm running an older version of TM (2.52).
theroyalstudent

Post by theroyalstudent »

I'm seeding 200-300 torrents, 300mb of RAM usage. My server is basically unusable with it open right now :/

Gotta remove some torrents I suppose.