Clutch Merges with Transmission!

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
Gimp
Web Interface Developer

Clutch Merges with Transmission!

Post by Gimp »

We are pleased to announce the clutch project has now merged with transmission.

There will be no more releases of clutch on its own, from 1.30 onwards it is bundled inside transmission.

You can still download Clutch 0.4 from the clutchbt.com website if you need clutch for an older version of transmission, however that release is no longer supported.

Although it has merged, clutch is still a very new project, and thus there are still a few bugs and a lot of features missing. This message is also an open call for people to test clutch all they can, and please, please submit patches and improvements! Right now clutch does not have a developer with enough time to push it forward to the place we all want it at, so anyone with the experience, and time, is welcome to help out.
Ssargon

Re: Clutch Merges with Transmission!

Post by Ssargon »

There sure are improvements to make. Like the feature loss of not being able to use https for Clutch.

I think 1.22 with Clutch worked alot better althou I really -want- it to be bundled.

I have gone back to 1.22 until Clutch work as good as before. Its a shame you made the bundled Clutch beta the only option in Transmission 1.30 since the stable version was better in atleast one respect...

(Just to make it clear: Transmission and Clutch makes for the best combo there is for controlling your torrents through the web. I just think its counter productive to go backwards when you release a new version of a program.)
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

It's a beta release, the underlying protocol has been completely rewritten, and we're short on developers at the moment. We do accept patches if you're willing to contribute anything.
Ssargon

Post by Ssargon »

Sounds like there are good stuff comming if you have rewritten the underlying protocol. I remember there where a couple or problems in the previous system (like the inability to view more than a small number of files in a torrent).

I´d love to help but I´m currently working on a MMORPG freeserver so most of my time is being thrown into fixing bugs in that.
fingaz

Post by fingaz »

Out of interest, what web server is this bundle using? And i presume you can configure this seperately to request a user/pass for access?
Is it possible to stop the default webserver and point something like lighttpd to the allocated web file location instead? As i have lighttpd setup with ssl already :)

Ps. Am using on an arm based western digital mybook through the optware feed should this make any difference :)

FingAZ.
Gimp
Web Interface Developer

Post by Gimp »

fingaz wrote:Out of interest, what web server is this bundle using? And i presume you can configure this seperately to request a user/pass for access?
Is it possible to stop the default webserver and point something like lighttpd to the allocated web file location instead? As i have lighttpd setup with ssl already :)

Ps. Am using on an arm based western digital mybook through the optware feed should this make any difference :)

FingAZ.
Transmission uses shttpd to host RPC and Clutch. In the mac and GTK clients you can configure a user/pass, I'm not sure about daemon im sure you can do it somehow there too.

You can't use a seperate webserver at this time. We may in the future, rebuild that ability in, though.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

You should be able to rig something up with ProxyPass though...
bviking

Post by bviking »

As a few others have posted, the change to a bundled webserver means that the "old" Clutch how-tos no longer work for running transmission-daemon and the web interface on a Linux box.

I couldn't seem to find any relevant documentation in the source tarbal and the old "Clutch" website doesn't seem to have been updated to reflect the Brave New World. This might be Easy to others, but it took me a little while to figure out.

So, to (hopefully) save someone else some time, here's what I did (after downloading, extracting, building and installing Transmission 1.32):

1. Remove all old Clutch files (more so I wouldn't get confused with old Firefox bookmarks to be honest!)

2. Run transmission-daemon with the following (adjusted as necessary for your configuration):

Code: Select all

transmission-daemon -g /home/fred/.transmission -a +192.168.10.0 -T -b 
3. The IP address of my machine running transmission-daemon is 192.168.10.25 So, to fire up the web interface, I fire up Firefox and hit:

http://192.168.10.25:9091/transmission/web/
This allows any client on your local network to connect to the transmission-daemon via the web interface without authorisation. Not ideal from a security perspective, but It (just!) Works (and of course you are behind a good firewall, right?). By the way, the -b switch when passed to transmission-daemon enables blocklists, which you download manually and drop into the blocklists subdirectory (for my example above, "/home/fred/.transmission/blocklists/")

This seems to now be running fine on Debian Etch on a Kurobox HG.
fingaz

Post by fingaz »

Going back breifly to the whole "passwording the web interface"; the transmission daemon allows for the switch -t (allow authentication) with -u setting the username, and -v setting the password. Also transmission-remote -a is used for "setting authentication" - not 100% on that one.

Running the daemon with;

transmission-daemon -w /dirto/torrents/ -t -u username -p password
seems to work; but then transmission-remote just gives me 'Unable to parse response "Error: 401"' whenever i try anything (tranmission-remote -l for example)

Interesting...
Any ideas?
Or any ideas where shttpd sticks its config files?
And on that note; Transmission allows you to set the location of a config file; can anyone provide an example config file? or list what commands/switches etc the config file supports?

Cheers!
FingAZ
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

the gtk and daemon's config file is named "settings.json"
fschaeckermann

Post by fschaeckermann »

fingaz,
you probably figured this out already, but for future reference: you need to use the -n option of transmission-remote to access a daemon that was started with authentication enabled.

transmission-remote -n username:password -l
will list all the torrents!

Regards, Frank
Asure007

Post by Asure007 »

Question, did this new release remove the option under 'open' to enter an url ?
Or am i missing something ?
theCrank

Post by theCrank »

Yep - this feature was removed. i really liked it!
cheongseeker

Post by cheongseeker »

Hi,

I've tried the following and it works but now would like to have more than one username:password. Can this be done?

Thanks.
fschaeckermann wrote:fingaz,
you probably figured this out already, but for future reference: you need to use the -n option of transmission-remote to access a daemon that was started with authentication enabled.

transmission-remote -n username:password -l
will list all the torrents!

Regards, Frank
fschaeckermann

Post by fschaeckermann »

cheongseeker wrote: I've tried the following and it works but now would like to have more than one username:password. Can this be done?
Big fat NO... The daemon is started for one specific username:password and that is the one you have to specify with -n for transmission-remote.

Why do you need multiple username:password pairs? There is no granular authorization for the various actions anyway. Each user would be allowed to do whatever he/she liked. And adding that would mean a lot of work, since you need to have a whole authentication and authorization management system with it.

Frank