Web Interface works on iPhone but not browser at work?

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
versechorusjvh

Web Interface works on iPhone but not browser at work?

Post by versechorusjvh »

Hey guys, this is my first post here, I've been searching around trying to find an answer but can't come up with one (so please don't flame me for not searching cause I tried!!!)

Anyway I have my web interface set up - have dyndns set up and everything so basically I can check the status of my torrents no matter where I'm at, local network or not. I have a little icon on my iPhone home screen to pull up the link to the WebUI wherever I'm at and it has been working flawlessly.

Today, however, I went to add a torrent file from my work computer using the WebUI and it won't pull up the Web Interface for some reason... even though I can clearly access it using my iPhone, I get the "server is taking too long to respond" error.

So I can't really figure out what's going on because I know the problem isn't with the server I set up. Is it possible that some networks can block access from some machines to something like the Transmission WebUI? Seems pretty ridiculous to me, but I can't figure out what else it would be.

Thanks

Justin
j5osx

Re: Web Interface works on iPhone but not browser at work?

Post by j5osx »

Sounds like the network administrators at your work are blocking port 9091 to me.

To check this, try "telnet <hostname> 9091" from a command line. If it opens the connection, it is not blocked. If it does not open the connection, it's blocked at the network level (could be by your work's ISP as well).
versechorusjvh

Post by versechorusjvh »

will give it a shot. many thanks!
jsjoholm

Post by jsjoholm »

Amen on the telnet part - its easy enough to change the port configuration after all, and I usually advice people to swet their transmission webadmin port to a much higher port than the default one (usually i suggest something in the 55,000 to 65,000 range) - security by obscurity + it can sometimes fix problems like this.

Another thing to consider is that some work places have their web browsers locked down rather hard, where I work our computers are DoD cleared and thus they dont allow anything like javascript or anything else thats too much fun to have working either for that matter - could be that they have locked it down so tightly that the initial response from the web gui is ignored and thus no reply is sent back to the server. Some places even lock down the whole 'server type ID' string so that if the server type ID string does not match a pre set list then all comm.'s from it is ignored.

Just a thought, thats all.
versechorusjvh

Post by versechorusjvh »

hm.. changed the port to a much higher number, still no luck with that.

telnet gives me this error: "nodename nor servname provided, or not known"

any other suggestions?