Stopping and Pausing Torrents

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
rathalian

Stopping and Pausing Torrents

Post by rathalian »

Can someone please explain to the definition of stopping and pausing torrents, in particular in the Transmission UI ?

In uTorrent we have start, stop and pause - not relevant for Transmission but a common interface.

In Transmission web UI we have pause and resume.

In Transmission Remote GUI we have start and stop.

I use both Transmission Web UI and Transmission Remote GUI I have noted that when a torrent is paused in the web UI or stopped in the remote GUI the effect is the same - no upload or download.

So - given these observations are we talking about confusion in naming of functions or is the pause feature in the Transmission web UI similar to how uTorrent pauses - which is:

"Pause will pause the selected torrent job(s), but won't actually stop it. This tells µTorrent to attempt to retain connections to peers without having to re-establish them like starting stopped torrent jobs would require. It is useful for when you need quick access to bandwidth. Realise that while µTorrent won't drop the connections on its own accord, the connection can still get dropped by the client on the other end of the connection.

Stop will stop the selected torrent job(s). All connections with peers are dropped."

I guess I'm not particularly interested in 'Pausing' a torrent, just stopping it as I run Transmission on a router and pausing uses more resources.

Appreciate your feedback!
livings124
Transmission Developer

Re: Stopping and Pausing Torrents

Post by livings124 »

Transmission doesn't have uTorrent's "pause" functionality. Pause and stop in the two ui's mean the same thing - stop.