Install guide for webinterface?

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
mymantheman

Install guide for webinterface?

Post by mymantheman »

Hi I'm new to transmission and I've been using rtorrent for a while, though the progress has stopped so I'm thinking of moving on. But I cant find any documentation of how to enable the webinterface, only a short wiki page of it. No prereqs (php? modules etc) Is there a step to step guide on how to make the webinterface work? It would really help!

Thanks in advance.
mymantheman

Re: Install guide for webinterface?

Post by mymantheman »

I've gotten it work, mostly, I get:

If you're editing settings.json, see the 'rpc-whitelist' and 'rpc-whitelist-enabled' entries.

I get:
ls transmission-daemon/
blocklists resume torrents

but I miss settings.json, shall I create it myself? I'm usin 1.60 beta
rb07

Post by rb07 »

mymantheman wrote:I've gotten it work, mostly, I get:

If you're editing settings.json, see the 'rpc-whitelist' and 'rpc-whitelist-enabled' entries.

I get:
ls transmission-daemon/

but I miss settings.json, shall I create it myself? I'm usin 1.60 beta
No, you don't need to create it.

If its the first time you run the daemon, then just stop it and it will write its settings to that file. If its not the first time... then the settings are somewhere else, look at the parameters used to start the daemon (which is the proper place to set things up, not editing settings.json).

As for your original question: no there are no pre-requisites on special steps, since version 1.34 (I think) the daemon has the Web client included, nothing special needed to use it except you have more settings for access control.
mymantheman

Post by mymantheman »

thanks for the reply, It was the first time running the daemon but even after I closed it, it didnt create the file, the reason I need to manually edit is because I get access denied from my computer ie whitelist, I have a bash only server so I cant localy browse to it. I start it with init.d script from wiki and it seems to be runnign with the -f option, no parameter of where the confile is. Though it did create the directories:

under the user it runs as...
rb07

Post by rb07 »

You can set the white list on the startup script, I don't use it but I think it has an empty OPTIONS string (check that the start-stop-daemon does use $OPTIONS as paramerter after the double -), you can add there the "-a +127.0.0.1,+192.168.*.*" adjust to your LAN IP range or just add your PC IP address.
mymantheman

Post by mymantheman »

I manually added this:
nano -w settings.json

{
"rpc-enabled": 1,
"rpc-port": 9091,
"peer-port": 213782,
"download-dir" : "/home/transmission/",
"rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.*,192.168.*.*"
}

saved it and now It can read from this file as I can get into the website, but when I make a change and hit save in the webgui it doesnt take, it seems like webui doesn have rights to change the file even though its owned by the same user which is running the daemon.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

mymantheman wrote:..., but when I make a change and hit save in the webgui it doesnt take, it seems like webui doesn have rights to change the file even though its owned by the same user which is running the daemon.
You mean changing "Preferences" and saving?

As I said before, you have to stop the daemon, that's when it writes its configuration settings.
mymantheman

Post by mymantheman »

just a follow up, when running transmission as transmission user with no password applied, ie runs it through script init.d, it didnt create:

settings.json
stats.json

When running init.d/transmission-daemon stop

But when I started transmission-daemon -f with my default user everything goes as planned, I get a log where it saves config to file plus the file stats.json gets created.

If I run it like I did from the start it created the folders but not the config file it seems like the problem is not permission related, ie why can it create a directory but not a file?