Can't open torrent file

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
Kewl

Can't open torrent file

Post by Kewl »

Web interface from the Mac 1.61 version installed on a 1.0 GHz eMac (PPC) with OS 10.5.6: with this version, it can not open a torrent file. I never had that problem before. Since there are fixes for the web interface in the 1.61 version, maybe something got broken...
cico

Re: Can't open torrent file

Post by cico »

same thing here.

I can confirm this on my mac as well as on my synology nas
rb07

Post by rb07 »

How are you trying to open the torrent?

If it is from a file (upload), then I don't know what the problem is. If it is from a URL, then it probably is just that 1.60 (I don't know about 1.61) puts the torrent in pause even if you have preferences to start immediately.

The only way to know for sure is in a terminal on your server, use "transmission-remote -a <torrent file or URL>" and if there is a problem it will show it to the terminal (something the Web client never does).
cico

Post by cico »

I open my torrents this way: I download the .torrent file from my (private) tracker to my desktop, open the "open dialog" in clutch and point to the according local url.

no, I'm not using "open from url" because my tracker is providing the url's of the . torrent files in a form like this "http://xxx/php?id=207". although this works on my mac as it seems to resolving to the "physical url", I cannot open a torrent on my syno that way.

and no, it's not because of the torrent being paused. when using "r8349" I even set the prefs to not add the torrent automatically just to verify existing data before adding because of that unicode-bug since 1.4x. but regardless if a torrent is added as "paused" or "active" it would appear in clutch anyway! but that doesn't happen to me.

you said before you're also using a nas; can you add a torrent via clutch with 1.61 or 1.60-r8368?

I will try to add a torrent via transmission-remote (which I've never used before) and report later...
Last edited by cico on Tue May 12, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

I'm not using 1.61, and you are the 2nd person to report the same problem... so I won't install 1.61 .

The test with transmission-remote will only show an error if there is something wrong with the .torrent file.
AVI

Post by AVI »

cico wrote:I open my torrents this way: I download the .torrent file from my (private) tracker to my desktop, open the "open dialog" in clutch and point to the according local url.

no, I'm not using "open from url" because my tracker is providing the url's of the . torrent files in a form like this "http://xxx/php?id=207". although this works on my mac as it seems to resolving to the "physical url", I cannot open a torrent on my syno that way.

and no, it's not because of the torrent being paused. when using "r8349" I even set the prefs to not add the torrent automatically just to verify existing data before adding because of that unicode-bug since 1.4x. but regardless if a torrent is added as "paused" or "active" it would appear in clutch anyway! but that doesn't happen to me.

you said before you're also using a nas; can you add a torrent via clutch with 1.61 or 1.60-r8368?

I will try to add a torrent via transmission-remote (which I've never used before) and report later...
I have the same problem on ubuntu 8.04
nszb

Post by nszb »

Same problem on my WL-500W with Oleg..

Is there any solution?
Celephais

Post by Celephais »

Same here.
I use transmission-daemon on a ubuntu 9.04 server from transmission ppa.
When i open the torrent file nothing appear on the web UI, on the server's disk no file .torrent is created.
Launching transmission-daemon with --foreground give no error.
super-poussin

Post by super-poussin »

same for me some trouble to add from ui but works fine with trans-remote
alexander

Post by alexander »

Same for me with Transmission 1.61 (8396) on an Arch Linux x64.
Are there any debug options for WebUI?
'transmission-remote -a' seems to work fine.
'transmission-daemon -f' produces no useful output.
daanemanz

Post by daanemanz »

Same problem with Transmission 1.61 on Ubuntu 8.04.2 x64. Doesn't seem to be a platform issue, does it?

Looks like the new build is broken on this particular point, running in debug mode also doesn't provide any useful info. Hope this will be fixed soon, in the mean time I'll revert to an older version...
cico

Post by cico »

I hope we are very close to the problem being solved as jordan has just closed ticket #2073. Now I (as a "linux-dummy") have just to wait for optware transmission being updated for my Synology NAS...
rb07

Post by rb07 »

cico wrote: Now I have just to wait for optware transmission being updated for my Synology NAS...
The change you mention is on a text file, just adds one line, so you can just patch/edit/replace that file on your installation.

Those are options, use patch if you have it, use an editor, or edit the file somewhere else and replace it for instance using ftp or scp. The file in question is going to be in /opt/share/transmission/web/javascript/transmission.js in your NAS (unless the optware guys change its installation to somewhere else).

Scratch all that, the change doesn't fix it.
Last edited by rb07 on Thu May 14, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daanemanz

Post by daanemanz »

rb07 wrote:
cico wrote: Now I have just to wait for optware transmission being updated for my Synology NAS...
The change you mention is on a text file, just adds one line, so you can just patch/edit/replace that file on your installation.

Those are options, use patch if you have it, use an editor, or edit the file somewhere else and replace it for instance using ftp or scp. The file in question is going to be in /opt/share/transmission/web/javascript/transmission.js in your NAS (unless the optware guys change its installation to somewhere else).

Scratch all that, the change doesn't fix it.
Exactly, I came to the same conclusion after hacking the transmission.js file...
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Uploading using the Web client doesn't work... but the new option of using a watch directory does work. This could be a temporary workaround, start the daemon with the option set and put new .torrent files there using ftp.