Yet another topic about WebUI problems.

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
Bl4ckM0onk3y

Yet another topic about WebUI problems.

Post by Bl4ckM0onk3y »

Hello. I'm fairly new to this type of bittorent client ,especially on linux , since i'm dealt with no problems with the desktop version i thought i try the transmission installed on my Ubuntu 9.10 server , since there isn't any good documentation with the headless client i tried with little success to install the transmission with working WebGUI. First i tried to install it by sudo apt-get install transmission , the web gui didn't work , there where at least 2 settings.json files, i edited rpc to 1 and auth to "true" gave it a login an password , edited and enabled the whitelist but still no go , no webUI , always 402, or 403 error with "access denied" "not permitted" etc. Finally i purged all transmission files from the server and installed only the new transmission-daemon , edited with no problem the settings.json files , the daemon started without a problem with -f command , but when i tried to access it with the web browser i got 404 error "no index.html" and something about HOME DOWNLOAD folder ect. i checked the support tickets and forums over here ,there where at least 2 of the same problems ,the daemon was working but no web gui .
I would like to add that i am using NetFramework based windows app for managing the daemon since i can't get into the web ui (since the /web/ folder with these files simply doesnt exist :/ ) by using the Windows Transmission remote i can set everykind of setting ect. it simply works but i would like to know where lies the problem that i cannot get to the web interface.

The exact error page :

Code: Select all

404: Not Found

Couldn't find Transmission's web interface files!

Users: to tell Transmission where to look, set the TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME environment variable to the folder where the web interface's index.html is located.

Package Builders: to set a custom default at compile time, #define PACKAGE_DATA_DIR in libtransmission/platform.c or tweak tr_getClutchDir() by hand.
Also i noticed the transmission daemon doesn't start with the system, i have to manually run it. Strange.
Thank you in advance.
rb07

Re: Yet another topic about WebUI problems.

Post by rb07 »

Lets start with your last question, the lack of a start-up script is just laziness of the maintainer for your distro. True the source code doesn't include the script, but there is a good example on the Wiki http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Scripts which may need a little tweaking for the specific OS.

Your first question is strange, all the latest versions of Transmission don't need the use of that environment variable... my guess is that you installed an old version (because that is what is available; again maintainer laziness bites). Or Ubuntu separates Transmission into several packages and somehow you ended up installing just part of the daemon; doesn't sound likely but anything is possible.

If you feel comfortable building your own perhaps you should give it a try, install the required dependencies and then build and install the latest version.

If you think you have a good installation already (you can check by listing the installed files, its standard functionality on the install manager, rpm or whatever), then just locate the web pages and scripts and add the environment variable to the start-up script.
asgard

Post by asgard »

No good documentation on headless client? Seem like you didn't look hard enough, it's here. As for the use of environment variable, I do made used of it, just need to export TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME=<location of your webUI files>.
dude

Post by dude »

Init script is available in ubuntu packages and works quite well actually.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/i386/ ... n/filelist
Bl4ckM0onk3y

Post by Bl4ckM0onk3y »

thanks for the input guys , i will try ASAP @ home ,now @ work . The transmission is in 1.75 version so i think it isn't "old" ;].

@asgard : i presuming you talking about the transmission not the transmission-daemon ? i only have installed the transmission-daemon because when i installed transmission-daemon + common files + transmission there was no way i could get into the webUI ,always "not permitted" even when i whitelisted the local LAN and made login and password.

To sum it all up i have only installed 1.75 transmission-daemon ,i have to start it manually thru ssh because it hangs the server if i add it to the startup list

transmission-daemon installed = i can manage the daemon thru transmission remote (win app) (error 404 because the daemon doesn't have the /web folder )
transmission-daemon + transmission = fail to auth into the webUI even with whitelist enabled

i'm confused now , does the transmission + transmission daemon are making problems when they are installed simultaneously ? or i'm missing something ?
asgard

Post by asgard »

@Bl4ckM0onk3y, I'm not referring to Transmission (GUI) version but the transmission-daemon because it's running on my NAS which is "headless". As mentioned earlier, I need to use the TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME variable as my NAS do not have the right file structure. Why don't you list what you have currently like script, file location and permission so that we can help you further.
Bl4ckM0onk3y

Post by Bl4ckM0onk3y »

my settings.json file

{
    "alt-speed-down": 50, 
    "alt-speed-enabled": false, 
    "alt-speed-time-begin": 540, 
    "alt-speed-time-day": 127, 
    "alt-speed-time-enabled": false, 
    "alt-speed-time-end": 1020, 
    "alt-speed-up": 50, 
    "bind-address-ipv4": "0.0.0.0", 
    "bind-address-ipv6": "::", 
    "blocklist-enabled": true, 
    "dht-enabled": true, 
    "download-dir": "\/home\/bl4ck\/downloads", 
    "encryption": 1, 
    "lazy-bitfield-enabled": true, 
    "message-level": 2, 
    "open-file-limit": 32, 
    "peer-limit-global": 240, 
    "peer-limit-per-torrent": 60, 
    "peer-port": 51413, 
    "peer-port-random-high": 65535, 
    "peer-port-random-low": 49152, 
    "peer-port-random-on-start": false, 
    "peer-socket-tos": 0, 
    "pex-enabled": true, 
    "port-forwarding-enabled": true, 
    "preallocation": 1, 
    "proxy": "", 
    "proxy-auth-enabled": false, 
    "proxy-auth-password": "", 
    "proxy-auth-username": "", 
    "proxy-enabled": false, 
    "proxy-port": 80, 
    "proxy-type": 0, 
    "ratio-limit": 2.0000, 
    "ratio-limit-enabled": false, 
    "rpc-authentication-required": true, 
    "rpc-bind-address": "0.0.0.0", 
    "rpc-enabled": true, 
    "rpc-password": "{4553cb0b0c58c2a00fb4338d8b8961609d016e53wntbLZ9v", 
    "rpc-port": 9091, 
    "rpc-username": "bl4ck", 
    "rpc-whitelist": "*.*.*.*", 
    "rpc-whitelist-enabled": true, 
    "speed-limit-down": 100, 
    "speed-limit-down-enabled": false, 
    "speed-limit-up": 100, 
    "speed-limit-up-enabled": false, 
    "umask": 18, 
    "upload-slots-per-torrent": 14
}
Hovy

Post by Hovy »

Similar problem here,

The WebUI doesn´t accept the user, pw.

Im running a transmission-daemon as a headless server on a small Geode device with Debian since the first offical support of the WebUI and experianced no problems until now (self builded version).

Now, Im setting up a new system based on Ubuntu 9.10. I tried a self compiled version and at least the distri version but the behavior is the same.

transmission-deamon starts up correctly but it doesn´t seams to write the settings from the commandline call correctly down to the files settings.json and htpasswd. Neither in the self compiled version (1.76) nor in the distri version (1.75). The deamon has read/write access to these files.
I normaly run it like this:

transmission-daemon -a "*" -b --config-dir /home/transmission/ -u transmissionNew -p transmissionNew --auth  -p 2350 --download-dir /home/transmission/
The only thing I chanced was the username and the password. When I change the user and pw back to the old one everything works fine with the old login data.

So for me it seams like transmission-daemon doesnt correctly writes down these data at startup. And the password in settings.json and htpasswd are not human readable since this is a hash.

So is this a bug or does the behavior of transmission changed (it is documented this way in the man page)

Hovy
rb07

Post by rb07 »

You need to read the manual more closely:

-u  --username             <username>      Set username for authentication
  -v  --password             <password>      Set password for authentication
Or is it a typo?

What does htpasswd has to do here?
Hovy

Post by Hovy »

Ah Ok,

I think I see what happend. When I setted up my first headless server I did it correctly. Then a bit later I accidentally changed -v to -p (seams to be correct at the first view :oops: ) but it worked, because I didn´t chanced the user or password so the correct values allready kept in the config.

The problems primarily appeared when I installed transmission-daemon on the new plattform an just copied the config dir and wanted to change the user/pw.

So my mistake, sorry for the fuzz. I was wondering that transmission does something like this wrong since it is a very good pice of software. Will fix it and give a short report when im at home from work.

The left htpasswd seams to be an abandoned file from an earlier version of Transmission....

Greetings from Germany
Hovy