Multiple instances of transmission-daemon possible?

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
yachtman

Multiple instances of transmission-daemon possible?

Post by yachtman »

Installed transmission-daemon on a headless linux-lenny box (Kurobox pro) and works great in a single instance. Question is, can I run more than one instance of the daemon? I tried two, with separate init.d scripts, but only one daemon was launched (the first).

For starting, I can't figure out why two can't be launched with the script. But I see that somehow I'd need to identify the separate daemons running, so that when I issue a 'stop',it would know which process to kill.

Anyone else out there who has tried this?
rb07

Re: Multiple instances of transmission-daemon possible?

Post by rb07 »

yachtman wrote:Anyone else out there who has tried this?
No, but it is possible, just use different parameters for both daemons, separate all the ports or the second won't even start. And I did say ports, not just only one port, but both control and peer port.

My guess is that you have to be very thorough, separate watch dirs, separate config dirs, separate download dirs... well maybe this one could be shared as long as you don't have the same torrent in both.
yachtman

Post by yachtman »

Tried it and it works fine. Everything rb07 said above is accurate, and easy to implement. Separate daemons running, with separate Automatic daemons running also. No issues so far, and surprisingly modest resource usage <32mb on my headless server.
iwantlinuxsupport

Post by iwantlinuxsupport »

I'm trying to do the same (run a 2nd instance of transmission-daemon) but not having any luck. Here's my command line for the 2nd instance:

Code: Select all

transmission-daemon -c /tmp/trans/inp  -f -g /home/user/.config/transmission2 -p 9092 -w /tmp/trans/outp  -O -P 19010
All directories have been created. After running this 2nd instance from CLI and when I add a torrent to the watched dir, there's a message about having found a new torrent file but after that I don't see that entry from the web interface on port 9092. I tried adding a new torrent from the web interface and after clicking Ok I don't see the torrent in the "All" section (or any section) of the web interface.

The first instance of transmission works fine (my platform is Ubuntu 10.0.4 LTS)

What am i doing wrong ?
shape

Post by shape »

Is this possible on Mountain Lion? without using command line? :)