Tracker Response Code 0

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
Annabelle

Tracker Response Code 0

Post by Annabelle »

Hi, folks. A bit of background.

I'm a complete Ubuntu novice. Frankly, I like my computer to work like my car - starts and runs every time and I don't need to know the details. But financial considerations have forced me to go the Linux route and I'm learning but it is slow.

That said, I've been running Transmission without problem and, again due to financial constraints, have been using public wi-fi so I can download some things. I started running Ubuntu 11.04, upgraded to 11.10, and Transmission ran and upgraded without difficulty. A couple of days ago I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04.

On the torrents I had running before the upgrade or have tried to start since, I now get the following message: "Tracker gave an error: 'Tracker gave HTTP response code 0 (No Response)".

This happens on all but one of the torrents I have tried to run. On one torrent running previous to the Ubuntu upgrade I receive no error message. So, the Transmission screen is bright red except for this one torrent. Curiously (well, to me, anyway), on torrents I had started to download before the upgrade the torrents show I am connected to peers and I am still able to download (and upload at very high speeds). New torrents won't start and show no peers.

I've re-installed, but nothing changes. I would suspect IP blocking, except that torrents active prior to the upgrade remain active and to my limited understanding I would expect all to be blocked, not just a new ones.

Any ideas? Something I need to reset in Ubuntu and how? Something to fiddle with in Transmission and how?

Thanks for reading and any help.
Annabelle

Re: Tracker Response Code 0

Post by Annabelle »

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Usually "Tracker gave HTTP response code 0" is a temporary issue with the tracker, but if you use public wifi then certain ports or even addresses could be blocked by the service provider.
That's what I thought, but then why am I still able to upload and download some torrents? The preferences are set up to randomize the port with every start also. Would it help to just set a random port on my own? The ones Transmission sets seem to be always in the 58000 area when I have checked.
If you have DHT and PEX enabled, that should help.
They are.
Older torrents would have peers cached already. Is your port open?
No. The port isn't open and never has been. And of course I have no ability to forward the port. But then again, uploading and downloading was never a problem before the upgrade to 12.04.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Annabelle wrote:Something I need to reset in Ubuntu and how?
Probably.

The error message really means libcurl had a problem, an error that was not an error response from the tracker, also different from "time out", or "connection refused". There is no easy way to guess what that error was, you have to do some tests to try to find the problem:
  • Use curl on a terminal to test the URL that failed (the actual URL is not easy to get);
  • Use simple network tests, to see if DNS works: host <name-of-tracker>, to see if its reachable: traceroute <tracker>, or ping <tracker>.
  • Turn on verbose logging in Transmission (Wiki), add TR_CURL_VERBOSE (more Wiki) to the environment variables (before starting the application) to see the actual URLs and responses or error messages.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

To follow up my reply above, just to experiment, I set the port randomly. I didn't get any of the "response code 0" messages. Still no peers though, even on a torrent that had been seeding at high rates even after the upgrade and in spite of the response code 0 message. But when I checked the tracker of individual torrents, the message was "could not connect to tracker". I tried that twice with different ports without success. So I switched back to the random port on start up setting and got hit again with the "response code 0" message on some torrents and "could not connect to tracker" on others.

Oh, one other thing if it makes any difference. Sometimes the error message includes "Idle" and sometimes "Stalled" and I know neither the difference or the significance.

I have encryption required, by the way, if that makes a difference in blocking activity.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

The port (peer port) has nothing to do with trackers. What you are seeing is just coincidence, unrelated events, don't waste your time.

Idle/Stalled is not a message, its a state Transmission uses to describe the activity of a torrent: Idle means no activity in the last minutes, stalled means no activity for more than <value in preferences -- queue handling> minutes.

Encryption is also not related to trackers.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Thanks, rb07.

Since I'm slightly past ignoramus stage about this stuff and don't want to mess too much with things like configuration files for fear of messing things up worse, I was wondering if I should go try another wi-fi spot and see if I have the same problems. If I don't, then can I safely assume there is some form of blocking going on by the wi-fi I am at now? (And if so, is there any way around it?). If I still have problems then I will need to do the things you suggest I presume.

And if there is blocking, if I did a new install rather than an upgrade, would that help? Is my computer hardware identified to the network regardless of the OS I'm running? I don't know the details of this.

Thanks again.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Annabelle wrote:can I safely assume there is some form of blocking going on by the wi-fi I am at now?
No. Trackers, as you can see in their URL (in the torrent details) use 2 forms of URL (http: and udp:), and a port number that varies, so it is unlikely that some blocking would prevent reaching all of them.

In fact you can't test the udp trackers the way I said, curl doesn't do it, and Transmission doesn't use curl for that.
Annabelle wrote:And if there is blocking, if I did a new install rather than an upgrade, would that help?
No, that's also unrelated. It doesn't matter if you use Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, Solaris, ... Transmission works about the same in all of them.
Annabelle wrote:Is my computer hardware identified to the network regardless of the OS I'm running?
Unrelated, but yes, if one wanted to do it, its possible to identify your operating system, and your hardware.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

An idea: perhaps the WiFi is connected to an access point that limits the number of connections. That is more probable than some form of blocking.

Testing that should be easy. If you can open (new) Web pages, then that is not an issue. In other words, you would notice a general problem, not just Transmission, and not just trackers.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Thanks for all of your information.

The last bit about limited connections might be an issue. Since the upgrade I've noticed 2 different connections for the wi-fi spot I am at - one locked and one unlocked. The locked one never showed up before.

I'm also having more trouble staying connected since the upgrade. I often have to manually disconnect and then re-connect fairly often - hourly for example. Before the upgrade and before noticing 2 different wireless addresses I would sometimes go all day without any problems.

Well, I guess I'll have to educate myself and dig into the things you suggest and see if I can get this to work again.

Thanks again for your help.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Annabelle wrote:I've noticed 2 different connections for the wi-fi spot I am at - one locked and one unlocked
Those are not limits, they are secure and insecure access point connections. In other words, one is open to everybody, the other needs a user/password, or another kind of authentication.
Annabelle wrote:I'm also having more trouble staying connected since the upgrade.
That's probably because the WiFi signal is low, or the access point is not reliable.

But that brings up an interesting point, if reconnecting also means your local IP is changing, and Transmission is running all the time... even with operating system signaling the applications, I don't know, Transmission is not really good at loosing connections, but my experience is very different, I only loose the connection when my ISP is doing maintenance, which is not often; in that case I've had to pause all torrents, and start all to make things work again, which doesn't seem to be your case.
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

I have the same error message since I'm using Transmission. I've never had an issue when using WinXp+uTorrent. Plus, some torrents run no problem from the same tracker some start giving "Tracker returned an error: Tracker gave HTTP response code 0 (No Response)". Sometimes "Resume" works for a while but then it goes back again...it's really frustrating.
BTW it's running on OpenELEC... As I see not much has changed since last year :)
rstone5

Post by rstone5 »

my background
using macOS Big Sur v. 11.6.6 on an iMac 27-inch 2019 Intel i9. I tried Transmission 3.00 when it came out, but it dropped the first music file when I uploaded, might be time to try again. Went back to Transmission v. 2.94 (d8e60ee44f). Using Mullvad VPN through wireguard, port is forwarded correctly for the site and can be switched to another if needed. If I click on "auto map port", Transmission responds with the same port number and the light remains green. PEX, DHT both on, Prefer encrypted peers.

When I download from certain trackers I get the "Tracker Response Code 0", usually after a short to medium pause. This doesn't -seem- to affect performance, dl's and ul's continue and don't -appear- affected. Playing around with peer encryption, DHT and PEX off/on seems unhelpful. Trackers affected include etree; iArchive; few others but not on 'double-nickle' 'den-o-trade' 'dead-flac'. Problem started up maybe a month ago for me...

I appreciate you people keeping this discussion alive here. Helped me to look at options and such. So far have been ignoring the messages. Denial not always a pathological kinda thing. Thanks, Rod.