Can't Create Torrents—Every Tracker Rejected

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
z1r0un

Can't Create Torrents—Every Tracker Rejected

Post by z1r0un »

I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to this one. Forgive me if I didn't look hard enough.
Running Transmission 2.13 on Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty).
Downloading works well, but when I attempt to create a torrent, Transmission seems to reject /every/ tracker I throw at it, saying 'Error: invalid announce URL "http://tracker.example.com:5869/announce"', for example. (There's a newline before the ending quote, but single vs. double spacing of the tracker list makes no difference.)
I doubt the URLs are actually bad—I'm getting them from healthy torrents on tracker.example.com.
Any ideas? I'm tempted to switch back to μTorrent, but I want to give Transmission a chance first.
Maxtcc

Re: Can't Create Torrents—Every Tracker Rejected

Post by Maxtcc »

ARe you first uploading your torrent to the chosen tracker for acceptance
then downloading the new file torrent from that tracker(which will now have your own personal access key imbedde)
then running that torrent , while verifying the contents,
that is how I do it , DO YOU?
z1r0un

Post by z1r0un »

No, I'm not doing it that way...how does one upload a torrent to a tracker other than through a torrent client?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Maxtcc responded to the wrong question, not what you asked, and your response to him is also wrong (i.e. take any private tracker for instance, you have to upload your .torrent file through their upload Web page, not the client; the alternative is not to upload anything, for instance with openbittorrent, you just start seeding).

Back to the problem described, usually when the tracker is rejected (while creating a new .torrent file) there is a well known problem, like using udp:// tracker URL with versions before 2.30, or a syntax error, but your example doesn't have anything obviously wrong... so don't expect an answer, the problem is not in your description, you did everything right.
z1r0un

Post by z1r0un »

rb07 wrote:Back to the problem described, usually when the tracker is rejected (while creating a new .torrent file) there is a well known problem, like using udp:// tracker URL with versions before 2.30, or a syntax error, but your example doesn't have anything obviously wrong... so don't expect an answer, the problem is not in your description, you did everything right.
*facepalm* Didn't think to check for updates to Transmission. Updating to 2.31 doesn't help, though.
Could you point me to a list of these well-known problems?
I doubt it's anything to do with the trackers themselves—they're /all/ rejected. Nonetheless, can you see anything wrong with these?
tracker list removed
I suppose this fell under rule 8: "Never post private information, such as torrent or tracker names, IP addresses, etc.". I have trouble seeing how a list of trackers available for download on tracker.example.com qualifies as "private information", though. :/ (I'd link to it, but I have a feeling the torrent is "private", too.)
Last edited by z1r0un on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

z1r0un wrote:Could you point me to a list of these well-known problems?
No, I meant "well known" to me, as in learned by doing and making mistakes, not by reading it somewhere.

One thing I would try is to use Transmission-Qt (which I use and know it works) instead of the GTK application (which I haven't used lately), just to see if it is a bug on the GTK application.
z1r0un

Post by z1r0un »

Qt does /almost/ the same thing. Instead of throwing an error on clicking "OK", it closes the dialog without making the torrent. I suspect it's just a different reaction to the problem in the backend.
I can't find and nightlies or betas post-2.31 for Ubuntu, so I should file an error report, right?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

z1r0un wrote:I should file an error report, right?
Sure, but post in the report a debug log (copy the output on the console while you follow the procedure to show the problem):

Code: Select all

TR_DEBUG_FD=1 transmission
or better, if you can run it on gdb (don't worry about the application not having debug symbols, the log could have some clues.)
carlturney

Post by carlturney »

Hi,

It seems this never got resolved. I had the same problem, recently, and figured out a solution. This may help others with the same problem, even though it has been 9 months since anyone posted on this.

When I've =copied=and=pasted= a list of URLs into the Trackers list, while in Edit Trackers, these two things will mess you up:
(1) It hates spaces anywhere in a line (most often found at the end of a line, just before the end-of-line character).
(2) It hates certain types of end-of-line characters. Haven't found out if it's *NIX, Windows, or Mac EOLs yet.

So, BEFORE I copy and paste a list of good Trackers into the Trackers, I so a search-and-delete of any space bars.

And, AFTER I paste the list into the Trackers, but before I tap Save, I do a "End-Del-Del-Enter-Enter" on every line of text, thereby replacing whatever original EOLs there were with Transmission EOLs.

Note: It's OK to copy and past lists of Trackers from one Torrent into another. No worries.

Cheers,

Carl Turney, Melbourne, Australia