2.33 progress bar

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
waldorfian

2.33 progress bar

Post by waldorfian »

what's with the progress bar in 2.33? It seems to be reversed! There isn't any preference setting for this. Any ideas/comments? :?:
rb07

Re: 2.33 progress bar

Post by rb07 »

Its the new "seeding progress" bar, it tries to show the progress like the Web client does.

It all started with ticket #4281, and it has received a few complaints ever since: ticket #4389, ticket #4340.

#4389 proposed some alternatives, but like Jordan said: its impossible to come with something that will work everywhere (paraphrased). Somebody else asked to be able to turn the feature off.

I've tried to make it more "Web client like", with Transmission-Qt (for Windows), using colors depending on the status, blue/white for downloading, ?/green for seeding (the inverse bar); the "?" and in general the colors the user sees, depend on the desktop settings (theme and color scheme) so the result varies from desktop to desktop, and with Transmission-Qt it also varies with the style (a Qt feature)... the conclusion: just like Jordan said, it is very difficult to come with a general solution.
waldorfian

Post by waldorfian »

I don't understand how this would be more "web client like". I use the web client on my iPhone and the progress bar is left to right. The colour of the bar is different based on the status but the part of the bar that is completed, is on the left progressing towards the right as it always has been. I have never seen a progress bar go from the right to the left before.

If it impossible to please everyone, why not leave it the way it always has been and conform to the standard? I upgraded from 2.31 to 2.33 to hopefully get my seeders to stay connected (which seems to work now) but now this! I think the progress bar should be optional left-to-right (standard) or right-to-left (unconventional).
:evil:
rb07

Post by rb07 »

waldorfian wrote:I have never seen a progress bar go from the right to the left before
That is a bug in Transmission-GTK, the bar goes (empties) left to right on Transmission-Qt.

Perhaps a picture will clarify. This is Transmission-Qt :
screenshot
screenshot
screenshot.jpg (40.55 KiB) Viewed 8109 times
(the colors are on a modified version, blue/white = downloading, solid green = seeding with no limit, green (moving left to right)/light-green = seeding with a ratio limit)
waldorfian

Post by waldorfian »

thanks for the screenshot but I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 and have TransmissionBT 2.33 running and it looks nothing like that. The compact view looks similar but I don't see the different colours. I generally use the full view (compact view unchecked on the view menu). My original question was about the full view progress bar now being reversed. So you are saying that is a bug then?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

waldorfian wrote:So you are saying that is a bug then?
I think so.

The full view is the same with respect to the colors, and the bar decreasing left to right (and yes, this is not Transmission-GTK, known just as Transmission in the Linux desktop, this is Transmission-Qt):
screenshot2.png
screenshot2.png (34.7 KiB) Viewed 8106 times
waldorfian

Post by waldorfian »

sorry, but I don't know what Transmission-Qt is exactly then. I guess I am using Transmission-GTK which is as you specified, the default for Linux desktop (Ubuntu in my case). So if it is a bug in GTK, I guess I have to live with it until it gets fix in some future release? :?:
rb07

Post by rb07 »

waldorfian wrote:I guess I have to live with it
No, you should report it, preferably in ticket #4389 (a separate report risks being marked as duplicate and ignored). Right now its not acknowledged as a bug, it may not be changed.

Try to be very clear: "The progress bar is moving right to left when seeding". Just like you said above, just keeping it simple so that it will be understood. Unlike what the original poster did on that ticket, you can add images inline (there is a Wiki format to follow, you upload the image as attachment, then in the message write [[Image(http://...)]] where the link is the one of the attachment.)
waldorfian

Post by waldorfian »

Thanks so much for your input on this!