Transmission won't retain settings after Ubuntu update

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
Omo

Transmission won't retain settings after Ubuntu update

Post by Omo »

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, with Transmission v. 1.9.3, (10621) ~ after the recent Ubuntu updates, including the linux kernel, Transmission acted like it had never been opened before. None of the user settings were retained. The torrent information still shows, and the program still works, but something clearly isn't right, as all the user settings vanish when the program closes.

I'm stuck using older versions of Transmission, since most torrent communities have rules against using newest versions, until they rule them acceptable. It would seem the easiest thing to do would be for me to locate the torrent info that is being retained, and copy it to another location. Then I could remove the program through Synaptic, and reinstall it, and then replace the torrent info. I had no issues with Transmission the first time I tried it after the Ubuntu install.

What I don't know, is where to find the torrent info to copy. The actual torrents are in other partitions separate from the Ubuntu partition, of course.
Omo

Re: Transmission won't retain settings after Ubuntu update

Post by Omo »

Thank you for the link. I did locate the Transmission folders with a search, but unfortunately, no files matching those on the wiki were there, even with hidden files showing. I may have an instance where the files were lost by way of the update trying to force them into a non-existent .config/transmission/ folder.

Well, I forgot one useful component in the Help dropdown. The Message Log has addresses of folders that a search didn't expose. I found the essential folders to allow me to reload the program without losing anything essential.

Something shows in Synaptic, that may have significance. It has two boxes checked for Transmission. One is Transmission-GTK+ and the other is Transmission-Common