Mac freezes because of TR/error 4HDD/11/40000000: SATA(0,0)

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
aquinascontrol

Mac freezes because of TR/error 4HDD/11/40000000: SATA(0,0)

Post by aquinascontrol »

after amount of torrents in my Transmission being up to 300, my Mac began to experience difficulties. this is reflected in the fact that machine freezes for some time without any visible causes.

I use 2.77 (14031) on osx 10.8.3, iMac Late 2012.

almost all of torrents are on external HDD's. their are two. Seagate Go-Flex 3.5" 2 Tb, WD Elements Green 3.5" 3 Tb. they are plugged via 2.0 with using additional USB cable. also, on my Mac is configured Time Machine on one of external HDD's (on Elements).

I also experienced similar issue after I began to use Transmission few months ago, when I was putting or stopping new torrent - I got software hungs on a while. I looked for decision on some russian forums, one guy told me that it's because of kind of work of software - when you stopping torrent first time while it downloading, software begin to save stuff on HDD and if HDD works slow - it causes hungs of software. I came to the conclusion that there is the need to replace HDD's. well, I didn't change it yet. because I haven't got possibility and this problem isn't critical for me, but this one, on top, is really worries me.

ps. I had an idea disable TM and thereby decrease loading of one of HDD's, what I did this morning. what you can suggest me?
Last edited by aquinascontrol on Sat May 18, 2013 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
aquinascontrol

Re: Mac freezes because of Transmission

Post by aquinascontrol »

Run Apple Hardware Test plus Disk Utility's First Aid.
Disk Utility's First Aid - checked all HDD's include two external - software reports that they are OK.

Apple Hardware Test reported error 4HDD/11/40000000: SATA(0,0) :(

I checked google for it... Couldn't find any useful info on my lng - russian. I'll check english sources later. What you can say about it?
All you can do is limit speeds, connections, and active torrents.
or don't use torrent at all? :D
aquinascontrol

Post by aquinascontrol »

ps. my Mac twice froze capitally today...
first was at morning, I tried to wake up monitor (torrent worked all night) and there was black display with mouse - keyboard and mouse worked OK. I tried to reload Mac via hotkeys but nothing.
second was just a thirty minutes ago, after I did tests above, I left Mac with working torrent and left home. when I returned and tried wake up monitor, I tried run music player and it freezes again, the wheel revolved - keyboard and mouse worked OK, but Mac again doesn't answer on hotkeys. both times I was forced used power button. I decide to check how Mac will works without torrent and external HDD's.
aquinascontrol

Post by aquinascontrol »

x190
regarding link that you've posted above, I'm don't understood which is concrete decision of issue? It's a known issue and developers tried fix it, it's all I understood...
here is quote:
The behavior for pausing newly added torrents in the Mac Client has changed. You may now pause them without freezing the gui and the zeroing-out will be done in the background. However, if you try to re-start the torrent before that process is complete the old freeze will return. Same old delay on quit. Over all a small improvement. 2.76 +(14023) SL 10.6.8
it has changed but stayed?
Apple Hardware Test reported error 4HDD/11/40000000: SATA(0,0)
is it need to become worried about data on HDD?
aquinascontrol

Re: Mac freezes because of Transmission / error 4HDD/11/4000

Post by aquinascontrol »

Well, I google for this error - no any concrete decision of it, but looks like it's HDD fault and it's need to be replaced or repaired...

Here is a thread of Apple forum - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/30 ... 0&tstart=0