Transmisison killing DNS resolution

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
JimBoy

Transmisison killing DNS resolution

Post by JimBoy »

I have been having this issue where if I leave transmission running for a while, eventually my laptop fails DNS resolution. That is if, while running Transmission, I go to a command line and type in something like "host google.com", it eventually times out with "can't connect to name server". This affects anything that relies on nameserving such as my browser, or updates etc. It is just DNS look ups affected, as I can still access sites by using IP addresses. Furthermore if a switch to a diffferent DNS server, there is no change. No activity is occuring on Transmission when in this state.

If I do a "netstat -na|grep ESTABLISHED", I'll see that there are connections established to the DNS server on port 53 that are just staying there.

As soon as I stop Transmission, the established links to the DNS service disappear and DNS resolution commences once more.

O/S: Debian wheezy
Transmission version: 2.52 (13304) (from debian repos)
DNS server: OpenDNS, then switched to DNS of my ISP
Number of torrents listed: 54

I haven't atered anything in configration other than limiting speed so everything else will be in default.
JimBoy

Re: Transmisison killing DNS resolution

Post by JimBoy »

Hmm, thought I had already replied, must have failed to press submit.

Anyway, it has been running since the above without issue. Whilst I not 100% convinced yet, as the issue was sporadic and not easily repoduced, it seems to have resolved.

Thanks for the suggetsion