Can't seed on Linux Mint

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
paulog

Can't seed on Linux Mint

Post by paulog »

Hello everyone,

I run Linux Mint 17 "Qiana", based on Ubuntu 14.04, on an older computer.

I am unsuccessful at sharing files over BitTorrent: for some reason, I find myself unable to seed.

I have both tried Transmission 2.82 (the distro default) and qBitTorrent. In both applications, I can download OK, but when my turn comes to seed, I am uploading to 0 out of 0 peers -- even for a self-created torrent which I try to download from another machine.

Transmission is set to listen for incoming connexions on port 51413 (as recommended by the package maintainers). Testing the port displays it as open.

I have created rules (TCP+UDP) in ufw (computer-based firewall) that allow incoming traffic to port 51413. I have also tried
disabling ufw entirely, to no avail.

I am connected to the the internet behind a router supplied by my ISP, namely the so-called "Livebox Play" designed for Orange (I am in
France). I went into its NAT/PAT settings and forwarded port 51413 to my Linux Mint machine. I have also made sure the router firewall does not filter out traffic to that port.

From what I've read on forums, my ISP is rather lax about torrents, so I doubt the problem originates with them.

Now I am at a loss for answers, and would greatly appreciate any help. Please let me know if I can provide you with more detailed information.