Error at "Incomplete Dir" reported as at "Download Dir"

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
boise

Error at "Incomplete Dir" reported as at "Download Dir"

Post by boise »

I reported this bug in the General Support forum since I didn't notice that there was a GTK Support forum. But later I found that the bug is in libtransmission, so maybe that wasn't so wrong after all...

My original bug report and my findings on the actual bug with its location in the source code is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16422&p=69237

Summary of the problem

I use Transmission-GTK 2.82 on Ubuntu 14.04. I intermittently got errors from Transmission stating that that there was a "permission error" in the destination ("Save to") directory, which is an NFS-mounted directory on a NAS on my home network.

After hours of trying to isolate the problem, I finally realized that Transmission was wrong. The problem was not in the destination directory (downloadDir), it was in the incomplete directory (incompleteDir).

The problem was that the local drive where incompleteDir resides did not auto-mount, so Transmission failed (naturally) unless I had mounted that drive (for example by just browsing a directory on it with the file browser).

So the error really occurred, and the error message from Transmission was correct, except for that the directory it indicated was wrong. A serious problem? No. But if the message had pointed out the correct directory, I would have isolated and solved the problem in a couple of minutes, instead of wasting hours on a wild goose hunt.

The bug is in libtransmission/inout.c, where any file error while writing downloaded pieces of a torrent to disk, is reported to have occurred on downloadDir, but that is not necessarily where the error actually occurred.