.torrent file does not move to trash

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
serge

.torrent file does not move to trash

Post by serge »

Hi everyone,

This is in regards to the GTK+ client, as packaged by Debian in Debian 8 (testing). When I add a new torrent, the .torrent file is renamed by having .added appended to the end of it, but I have "Move .torrent file to the trash" set in the GUI. My expectation was that setting that preference would cause the .torrent file to be removed, not renamed. Is my expectation incorrect? How can I go about troubleshooting the cause of this? Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
serge

Re: .torrent file does not move to trash

Post by serge »

Hi x190,

Yes, this is a watch folder. Thank you for your suggestion to check permissions, but can you tell me a little more about what I should be looking for? I have attempted to change the permissions of the watch dir to 777, and that did not solve the problem. I have also attempted to change the permissions of my Trash dir to 777 (recursively), and yet that too did not fix it. Additionally, Transmission is running as my user, and my user also owns the watch dir and the Trash, so I assumed the g and o bits were irrelevant anyway.

Here's a little more information on what's happening:
•I copty the *.torrent file to the watch dir from a remote computer using rsync
•The *.torrent file immediately gets renamed to *.torrent.added, even before I've had a chance to add the torrent (I have Torrent Options dialog enabled)
•Transmission opens the Torrent Options dialog (which is how I want it), I make sure the option to move the .torrent to the Trash is checked, and then I add the torrent
•The torrent is added correctly, but the *.torrent.added file remains in the watch dir

In the past, I used to run Transmission on a computer that I did not install a trash provider on, and on that computer, every time I added a torrent, Transmission would successfully delete the *.torrent file. Having a trash provider on this computer is not that big a deal, so if not having a trash will restore the behavior I am used to, then I can just do that (or maybe set a cron job to periodically delete *.torrent.added files), but I kinda want to understand how to get it to work right, as I believe what I am experiencing now is not the correct functionality.
serge

Re: .torrent file does not move to trash

Post by serge »

Hi to anyone interested,

I have not had time to explore additional troubleshooting with this problem. My Transmission workflow has changed to using a remote client for accessing the Transmission process and thus this problem, though still unresolved for me, is no longer affecting my usage of Transmission. I will not be pursuing a solution to this problem on my own, but if anyone else encounters this or a similar problem and would like me to participate in trying to determine the cause with them, I would be happy to. I will not be browsing this forum, but I can be reached via e-mail at serge.tsaytak at gmail dot com.