Transmission just..... stops working.....

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
doonze

Transmission just..... stops working.....

Post by doonze »

Ok, so I've noticed this issue. Transmission just...well... stops working. I'll get nothing from the url, and any apps I have that talk to it start getting errors saying it's not there. It's still RUNNING, just nothing can talk to it anymore. Everything else works on the box, just transmission stops. It's like it's stopped listening to it's port.

How long it takes varies. But it's at least once a day. All I have to do is ssh in (it's a headless server) and throw a quick "systemctl restart transmission-daemon" at it. Then it's fine for the next little bit. Seems to happen most often when it's idle, haven't noticed it when it's got stuff to do. I currently have written a cron to go and throw a 'systemctl restart' at it every 6 hours, I'll see how that does, but something just doesn't seem right.

Log is clean, seems it stops outputting stuff to the log also once this happens. It's like it gets cut off from the outside world. Nothing in, nothing out...just sits there running. (it does use CPU during this time).

Pi2
Raspbian 8 "Jessie"
Latest transmission from the jessie repository

Any ideas?
doonze

Re: Transmission just..... stops working.....

Post by doonze »

x190 wrote:Try getting a backtrace in gdb and check those logs again in debug mode.

Oh, and then there's that scripted pia that quits working, say every 6 hrs.????

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/En ... tVariables

$ gdb transmission-daemon
(gdb) handle SIGPIPE nostop noprint pass
(gdb) r -f
... run until Transmission crashes/stalls...
(gdb) thread apply all bt full
pia scirpt that quits working? I've got PIA VPN, and I have a script that goes out and updates the port every hour, cause it seems if you don't query the port and PIA doesn't see some activity on the port, it closes it after some time. Are you meaning that? My script keeps working, but the remote command that updates transmission starts getting an error from transmission once it "goes dark". So my script log tell me when and how long transmission has been "dark".

Since I'm getting nothing in the logs, I'll try to enable the debugging, and see if I see something then. Can you expand on the backtrace you mention?

Out of interest, if I throw a sudo reboot at the pi (I have another issue where my internet stops working all together every few days, and only a reboot fixes it) when it all comes back up, Transmission will almost always been in this "dark" state. I have to throw another "systemctl restart" at the transmission-daemon itself to get it back. What's also interesting, if the daemon was "dark" when it throw the reboot at the pi, it's working when the pi comes back up. However, if it was working fine when I do the reboot, it's "dark" after the reboot.

Something is a foot here, I just can't track down exactly what yet. My VPN cutting out ever few days is also on the list to track down. Since this is just a torrent box currently, the priority has been kinda low.