Not starting after Ubuntu update

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
Pooka

Not starting after Ubuntu update

Post by Pooka »

Hi all,

I LOVE Transmission and have run it for years.

I recently updated my 16.04.4 LTS server box and now Transmission deamond will not run.

I wish I had paid attention during the update/upgrade process to tell you what updated but I didn't and it was a couple hundred updates as I had neglected to run any updates for a few months.

When I run:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl status transmission-daemon.service 
I get the following return:

● transmission-daemon.service - Transmission BitTorrent Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/transmission-daemon.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/transmission-daemon.service.d
           └─local.conf
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2018-03-26 09:35:40 PDT; 4s ago
  Process: 17157 ExecStart=/usr/bin/transmission-daemon -f --log-error -g /etc/transmission-daemon (code=exited,
 Main PID: 17157 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Tasks: 0
   Memory: 0B
      CPU: 0
   CGroup: /system.slice/transmission-daemon.service

Mar 26 09:35:40 nonono systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: Unit entered failed state.
Mar 26 09:35:40 nonono systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
I am running the latest version: 2.93-1ubuntu1~16.04.2

I would greatly appreciate any help the forum could lend on this...thanks and cheers!
Pooka

Re: Not starting after Ubuntu update

Post by Pooka »

@cfpp2p thanks for the link.

So following the advice in the last couple of posts off that link I created the override.conf file with the following:

[Service]
Type=simple
User=debian-transmission
Group=debian-transmission
and it did start but that is not a solution for me. I drive all Transmission traffic through a split tunnel VPN and my user and group needs to be VPN not debian-transmission. I had it up and running for about 6 months prior to the update to 2.93. I had set it up originally following this guide: https://www.htpcguides.com/configure-tr ... -debian-8/

Anyone have a possible fix to suggest? Also open to rolling it back a version...just not sure how so any advice on that would be welcome.

Thanks in advance to all replies and cheers...