Transmission 1.40 hangs

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
indifference

Transmission 1.40 hangs

Post by indifference »

Hello,

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, and decided to upgrade transmission 1.34 to 1.40.
The thing is that now when I start a download of an torrent with a large size (> 1Gb), transmission hangs and my laptop becomes very slow.
I need to wait at least some minutes until transmission becomes responsive again. I've also tried the 1.41 beta with the same results.
Going back to 1.34 works perfectly...
Maybe the file allocation on disk method as changed from 1.34 to 1.40, but it's very annoying.

Anyone experience the same problem?

Thanks.
mtuser

Re: Transmission 1.40 hangs

Post by mtuser »

same problem.
600 MB+ save to NTFS disk
transmission 1.40 , ubuntu 8.10
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

The thing that comes to mind is the preallocation feature. Transmission creates the container for the file to place the peaces in the appropriate point. This also helps reduce fragmentation by creating the file at once.
mtuser

Post by mtuser »

I tried 1.41beta from ubuntu repo yesterday.While i was downloading, mount.ntfs-3g used higher cpu and transmssion gui freeze.
Now I use 1.34 nothing problem found same as 1.40 and 1.41.
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

I think Rolcol is right here. Of course, going back to v1.34 will seem as if everything is smooth, since v1.4x has already allocated the file ;-) This would improve the performance of v1.34 too.
thedruid

Post by thedruid »

I'm using v1.34 on Ubuntu Ibex and I also get the freezes.
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

thedruid wrote:I'm using v1.34 on Ubuntu Ibex and I also get the freezes.
Then you're likely experiencing other issues, I suggest you upgrade to the latest version of transmission, or even try a nightly.
indifference

Post by indifference »

Well, it seems fixed with transmission 1.50 beta 3.

Thanks to the devs.
indifference

Post by indifference »

The problem is back again :cry:

Just updated from Ubuntu 9.04 to transmission 1.60.
LB06

Post by LB06 »

This is not a GTK only issue. On my Mac Transmission also freezes on a very regular interval while downloading to NTFS-3g. I'm using 1.72; 1.71 and 1.61 also seems to be affected. When I still used 1.34 Transmission would also freeze, but only during preallocation. Later versions also freeze while filling the pre-allocated space.

Is there anything we or the devs can do about it? I tried using my HFS+ partition as an incomplete folder, which works, until the torrent has fully been downloaded and Transmission starts moving data to my NTFS-3g partition. Tnx for the help!
n3had

Post by n3had »

using 1.73 and the issue still persists
segooon

Post by segooon »

Using 1.76 (9395) and these hangs and freeze are persistent - even when I am a seeder of 7 torrents I've got 5-20 seconds freeze before GUI response. It seems like transmission waits for a single event (e.g. network) and ignore another (e.g. GUI) until first happens.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

segooon wrote:By: segooon
...Neddie Segooon?
segooon wrote:Using .76 (9395) and these hangs and freeze are persistent - even when I am a seeder of 7 torrents I've got 5-20 seconds freeze before GUI response. It seems like transmission waits for a single event (e.g. network) and ignore another (e.g. GUI) until first happens.
Does this persist in 1.80 beta 5? When seeding, 1.80 attempts to prefetch the data from the disk to reduce IO wait...
segooon

Post by segooon »

Hmm.. can I install transmission in separate directory?
Single execution of ./transmission freezes; maybe it tries to find some new resources in previous installation and cannot find them.
I did configure --prefix=_local_dir_ && make && make install and run transmission from _local_dir_.

I cannot agree with phrase that prefetching is a complete solution of such a problem - GUI must not freeze even when I download 100+ torrents, even my hard disk is very slow, even if I save it on network disk with horrible latency or floppy disk (yes, it is crazy situation:) ) - torrent client should only say "I dont know current speed of download or when it is finished" or smth like that and simply queue the request. GUI is like a client communicating with server with functional part (network/storage process), it must be fault tolerant imho.