-q option

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
claw

-q option

Post by claw »

Sometime ago I could use the -q option to quit an already running transmission gtk client. I know that the last time I had a need to quit the app, it worked fine - but that was with a 1.2x series of transmission. Since then I've upgraded transmission to 1.51, and recently tried to quit transmission from the command-line with the -q option. Nothing happened.

The man page indicates that it will accept a -q option, although the description of the option itself is no longer documented.

I know I can send a SIGTERM or SIGQUIT signal to the process but I have 2 issues with it, namely:
1. I have to send a signal 3 times before the app quits.
2. It leaves torrents that are downloading in an unclean state and upon starting transmission again I am hit with verification checks.

So, my question is how to cleanly quit an already running transmission gtk client from the command-line. Any ideas?
claw

Re: -q option

Post by claw »

ping
claw

Post by claw »

ping
claw

Post by claw »

ping
claw

Post by claw »

It is a real shame no one can respond on this - not even a dev.

It is because of this, I am forced to replace my once beloved Transmission. Yes, I too thought I would never ever need to, after such a long time of going through bittorrent clients and finally encountering Transmission. Alas, another, faster, better supported client now has my favour!

Honestly, who purposely designs their software to quit only after 3 signals have been sent to it?! Makes me wonder what other hackery is in place ...

So to borrow from Douglas Adams, so long and thanks for all the torrents.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Transmission is an open source client. I don't know anything of the GTK, but I still feel compelled to respond to this. Your sense of entitlement sickens me. If you want it fixed, feel free to submit a patch. You are not entitled to a developer response - don't act like we owe you something. So long, you won't be missed.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »