Problems after upgrade

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
astjohn

Problems after upgrade

Post by astjohn »

I just upgraded to 1.52 (8229).

I noticed that immediately I was unable to connect to transmission-daemon (or clutch) through the web browser other than on the local computer.

Also, when I start transmission-daemon, i get the following error:

Code: Select all

[21:51:54.497] Couldn't read "/home/whatever/.config/user-dirs.dirs": Permission denied
but the server starts anyway.

When I try to connect to transmission-daemon using transmission-remote, I get the following error:

[21:53:13.752] JSON parser failed at line 1, column 1: "<h1>401: Unautho"
[21:53:13.752] transmission-remote: Unable to parse response "<h1>401: Unauthorized</h1>Unauthorized User"
I never ran into any of these problems previously.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Below is my settings file which worked without problems before.

{
    "blocklist-enabled": 0,
    "download-dir": "whatever",
    "download-limit": 100,
    "download-limit-enabled": 0,
    "encryption": 1,
    "max-peers-global": 200,
    "peer-port": 50000,
    "pex-enabled": 1,
    "port-forwarding-enabled": 0,
    "rpc-access-control-list": "*.*.*.*",
    "rpc-authentication-required": 0,
    "rpc-password": "whatever",
    "rpc-port": 9091,
    "rpc-username": "whatever",
    "rpc-whitelist": "*.*.*.*",
    "rpc-whitelist-enabled": 1,
    "upload-limit": 100,
    "upload-limit-enabled": 0
}

astjohn

Re: Problems after upgrade

Post by astjohn »

I'm using Ubuntu.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing with apt.
I removed the directories "transmission" and "transmission-daemon" from "/home/whatever/.config/"

When re-installing, again the following error:

[21:53:13.752] JSON parser failed at line 1, column 1: "<h1>401: Unautho"
[21:53:13.752] transmission-remote: Unable to parse response "<h1>401: Unauthorized</h1>Unauthorized User"
(The timestamp[?] is the same because I copied from below)

I also noticed that instead of placing files in .config properly, they were placed in:

"/home/whatever/\ ~/.config/"
The directory was screwed up and started with a whitespace and then the tilde.

Any ideas?
navan

Post by navan »

Hello!

I'm also using Ubuntu and have upgradet two times (from 8.04 to 8.10 and directly on to 9.04).
After installing the package "transmission", the web interface was only working from the local computer. I tried to reinstall the package (with removing config-files completely). The reinstallation worked, but after that, the problem was the same.

But on my laptop (my 2nd machine), mythweb worked correctly, so i checked the differences between the two computers.
On my HTPC (where it doesn't worked), there were the packages "transmission" and "transmission-common" installed
On my Laptop were "transmission-gtk" and "transmission-common" installed, but NOT "transmission"

I tried to remove both packages from my HTPC, and installed only "transmission-gtk" and "transmission-common". Now it works as it should!

Bye,
navan
astjohn

Post by astjohn »

Unfortunately, I re-installed everything (all transmission packages) and it didn't help.

What I did find out is that the new install placed a startup script in "/etc/init.d/" called "transmission-daemon."

This is great, but I already had my own startup script with the exact same name. For whatever reason, this new transmission-daemon startup script was not properly starting up the daemon correctly because I could not connect to it using transmission-remote.

Perhaps there were some new configuration options that I am unaware of for this new script. I don't really have the time or the patience at this point to investigate.

Instead, I copied my script back and all was fine.
kab

Post by kab »

Please note that that the packages in jaunty and Debian testing and unstable are installing a startup script. The default download dir for the daemon is set to

/var/lib/transmission-daemon/downloads/
For the sake of easy packaging I have backported the new package with all the improvements and bad decissions :twisted:

The default password is transmission. Use

transmission-remote --auth=transmission:transmission -l
for download listings.

The following error is annoying but not critical. The problem is that transmission since arround version 1.51 or 1.52, is honoring the XDG download direcotry variable which, according to the freedesktop.org spec, is located in /home/whatever/.config/user-dirs.dirs. The daemon user under debian and ubuntu is debian-transmission which has no home directory.

[21:51:54.497] Couldn't read "/home/whatever/.config/user-dirs.dirs": Permission denied
intuited

Post by intuited »

Just a note: It looks like it's getting the user wrong, too; on my machine, running 1.75 under Ubuntu Intrepid, it's looking under the home directory of the currently-logged-in user, rather than the non-existent home directory of the debian-transmission user. Well, at least that's what the error message says, ie in the example, the username that's running `/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon start` is 'whatever'.
Anubis72

Post by Anubis72 »

Hi All!
I need some help about transmission. I’m running it on Dlink 323 something happened with the electricity shut down for a few second after that the transmission stopped.
I’ve tried to start again but there was not possible, so I upgrade it for the latest version and after I wanted to start trasnmision again and I got the next error massage :
JSON parser failed in /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission/settings.json at line 1, column 1: "d13:activity-dat"

Does anyone can help me what to check?
Thanks for your assistance in advance!
Anubis