This one torrent keeps pausing

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
whatshisname

This one torrent keeps pausing

Post by whatshisname »

An annoying problem. Probably has to do with the torrent itself. I don't know.

But I have this one torrent that keeps pausing itself even though it's connected to several seeds and I have several peers connected to me. (Currently 16 seeders and 45 leechers. So it's a healthy torrent.) So I'm constantly checking transmission and restarting this one particular torrent.

I'd be happy if I could write a script that I could put into my crontab which would automatically restart all paused bittorrents.

Or should I try to snatch this torrent with transmissioncli and have it check it every 15 minutes or so?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
whatshisname

Re: This one torrent keeps pausing

Post by whatshisname »

OK. I'll answer my own post in case anyone else runs into this rare problem. This is the only time it's ever happened to me and I've been using Transmission for about 3 years.

The short answer is I used "transmissioncli" to get the torrent in question and I'm experiencing no problems with it so far. It's been downloading for over an hour and it had been stopping within 5 minutes.

For those interested in using this method. With transmission stopped:

1) I copied the .torrent file from my torrents folder, ~/.config/transmission/torrents/, to my normal torrent download folder.
2) I deleted the .torrent file from my torrents folder as well as the resume file from the "resume" folder, ~/.config/transmission/resume/

Restart Transmission and check to make sure it doesn't try to start the download. If it does, then remove it from the Transmission interface.

I cd'ed to my normal torrent download folder and issued the following command:

transmissioncli -p 2048 TheTorrentYouWantDownloaded.torrent

The syntax above works as long as the .torrent file is in the same folder from which you issue the command above.

transmissioncli wouldn't download through the default port for Transmission. I kept getting an error saying the port was already in use. So the "-p 2048" switch forces transmissioncli to use another port.

transmissioncli went through its normal verification process before commencing with the download.

Hope this helps someone, sometime, somewhere!
LeftyClayJar

Post by LeftyClayJar »

I'm having the same problem! I'll try your solution tomorrow when I'm more awake, and post the results. Thanks!
whatshisname

Post by whatshisname »

I'm modifying this post given more experience with running the Transmission gui and transmissioncli at the same time:
whatshisname wrote:OK. I'll answer my own post in case anyone else runs into this rare problem. This is the only time it's ever happened to me and I've been using Transmission for about 3 years.

The short answer is I used "transmissioncli" to get the torrent in question and I'm experiencing no problems with it so far. It's been downloading for over an hour and it had been stopping within 5 minutes.

For those interested in using this method. With transmission stopped:

1) I copied the .torrent file from my torrents folder, ~/.config/transmission/torrents/, to my normal torrent download folder.

2) I deleted the .torrent file from my torrents folder as well as the resume file from the "resume" folder, ~/.config/transmission/resume/

No need for step 2. The Transmission gui will keep finding the torrent as long as a copy stays in the "~/.config/transmission/torrents/" folder. I thought there might be problems with each client going after the same file but there doesn't appear to be.

Restart Transmission and check to make sure it doesn't try to start the download. If it does, then remove it from the Transmission interface.

Again. Just let it run.

I cd'ed to my normal torrent download folder and issued the following command:

transmissioncli -p 2048 TheTorrentYouWantDownloaded.torrent

The syntax above works as long as the .torrent file is in the same folder from which you issue the command above.

transmissioncli wouldn't download through the default port for Transmission. I kept getting an error saying the port was already in use. So the "-p 2048" switch forces transmissioncli to use another port.

transmissioncli went through its normal verification process before commencing with the download.

Hope this helps someone, sometime, somewhere!
doctordeej

Post by doctordeej »

I would love that this had helped me - and it's goo dto know that this very frustrating problem is, indeed solvable.

However, I'm using a Mac with OS X 10.5 and the prospect of downloading and building a new unix programme (the TransmissionCLI) fills me with a certain dread.

Is there a way of doing this bit of manipulation without using the CLI?

Can you explain what you've done, exactly, by undertaking this?

Many thanks

DJ
monkey13

Post by monkey13 »

I'm having the same problem with this one particular torrent. When I start Transmission, it quickly finds 10 or some peers and starts downloading, but after minutes all or almost all of those peers have disappeared and the torrent halts.

I'm running Transmission on a Mac as well, with OS X 10.5. So I wrote a little AppleScript to monkey patch this problem. It automatically starts Transmission, then after 10 minutes, it stops it and starts it again, repeating.

Code: Select all

repeat
	delay 2
	tell application "Transmission"
		activate
	end tell
	delay 600
	beep
	delay 1
	tell application "System Events"
		tell process "Transmission"
			tell menu bar 1
				tell menu bar item "Transmission"
					tell menu "Transmission"
						click menu item "Quit Transmission"
					end tell
				end tell
			end tell
			--Be sure that you're not prompting the user on quit (in Transmission Preferences), or you might need the following two lines.
			--delay 3
			--click button "Quit" of sheet 1 of window "Transmission"
			delay 3
		end tell
	end tell
	beep
end repeat
Open the Script Editor and paste this code in, and run it. You're mileage may vary and you might need to adjust some of those waiting delays.
HTH