1.54 Ubuntu Jaunty input/output error

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
imalarsonist

1.54 Ubuntu Jaunty input/output error

Post by imalarsonist »

I'm running Transmission 1.54 on ubuntu 9.04 and while i was downloading a large file, i noticed it stopped and has the error "input/output error." I'm a little more that halfway and i would like to finish the download but i have no idea what to do. Can anybody help?
pkm

Re: 1.54 Ubuntu Jaunty input/output error

Post by pkm »

Hi
Im using ubuntu 8.10 and am getting input output errors on almost every large torrent. I may have to return to windows2000 + utorrrent because it 'just works'
This is using a 500gb usb external hard drive formatted as NTFS. I have noticed high CPU usage from NTFS-3g which wont help matters.
kovalev

Re: 1.54 Ubuntu Jaunty input/output error

Post by kovalev »

"Hi
Im using ubuntu 8.10 and am getting input output errors on almost every large torrent. I may have to return to windows2000 + utorrrent because it 'just works'
This is using a 500gb usb external hard drive formatted as NTFS. I have noticed high CPU usage from NTFS-3g which wont help matters."

I have experienced similar issue in Ubuntu 9.04 while running Transmission 1.76. Some bugs that might had degraded download speed in releases 1.76 and below have been fixed in last release 1.83, which is available for download now.
As for high CPU usage by ntfs-3g - this is definitely an issue in ntfs-3g, not in Transmission itself. An access (especially write) to a large file (>2Gb) on NTFS partition via ntfs-3g is slow and CPU demanding. My guess the best way to cope with this proprietary partition type in Linux is to use it as a long storage only, not as temporary one nor for instant access...