to many files opened?!

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
brainformat

to many files opened?!

Post by brainformat »

hi!
i'm using transmission for a while, and it's wonderful
however, i have one problem - sometimes it stops downloading/uploading with explanation: "To many files opened"
I'm not much of an expert, so i need a help.
so, does transmission really has such limits (about 10-15 files simultaneously), or i have missed someting during setup?
thx a lot!

P.S. OS is Ubuntu 9.04
jcw5002

Re: to many files opened?!

Post by jcw5002 »

Two things come to mind that you could try:

1) If you are running the transmission-daemon, in settings.json check the open-file-limit property. The default is 32 but I'm not sure if that translates directly to torrents in progress.... you could try bumping this up (and restarting your transmission-daemon) to see if it fixes it.

2) Sometimes these open file limits are operating system issues. Since you're running Linux you could be hitting the limit for open file descriptors. If the first suggestion didnt work, you could try this: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-incr ... pen-files/ to increase your max file descriptors limit.

Hope that helps!
SmilingInSeattle

Re: to many files opened?!

Post by SmilingInSeattle »

I added 76 torrents "at once." Bad practice, I suppose, but I did it by choosing the ADD button, browsing to the torrent folder, and then doing a SHIFT+Click at both ends of the list. It took a while, but finally the second Add panel came up for the last torrent. I clicked "Add", and then the next torrent showed up under it... I did this in quick succession. The download process started, but soon I started getting "Permission denied: ...with the folder location after it" error messages. I thought this was a linux permission problem, but the permissions didn't look like it. Since the files were to be posted on a storage volume, I decided to let's see what root could do with it as the volume and everything below it were owned by root (even though "others" had permission to read and write. They started and continuing downloading, but this ended up in filling my linux hard drive, causing me to go through a recovery operation.

Sleeping on it, I wondered if the default file storage location had changed, but it had not. One thing I did notice on the recovery was that the parts of files that WERE written were found under the 'media" directory, one above the volume mount. Moving them from there to the proper location on the volume and restarting didn't get the errors to go away. Eventually I deleted all the files that had been opened, restarted Transmission, and then only selected 10 torrents at a time. Doing this, over a couple of hours, I am successfully downloading 50 torrents at a time. My guess is that adding 76 torrents at a time (adding very quickly) overloads a buffer in Transmission, which perhaps the author can take a look at and correct or write up in the FAQs.

In my case, I don't believe the problem to be the number of open peer limits as the current number of downloading peers exceeds that number.

Transmission 1.76 (9395)
Ubuntu Karmic Koola (9.10)