Dedicate transmission to specific network card?

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
Monkey of Rage

Dedicate transmission to specific network card?

Post by Monkey of Rage »

This is probably a no cause dozens of google searches came up with nothing, but is there a way to dedicate one of my two network cards specifically to Transmission?
wkearney99

Re: Dedicate transmission to specific network card?

Post by wkearney99 »

I would also be interested in knowing how to do this. I'd like to bind transmission to only a specific network interface (or IP address) on a machine that has several of them.
zloeber

Post by zloeber »

I third this notion, if this is not an option as of yet it would be a really really cool one for future releases.
astrocrab

Post by astrocrab »

i'm the 4-th
ijuxda

Post by ijuxda »

This appears to be somewhat difficult to achieve in practice. Each platform has its own methods for binding to an interface, while on linux this also apparently requires root privileges (at least with the SO_BINDTODEVICE approach I tried).

I'll see what other programs do to try and find a better way, in the meantime you can try bind-interface (if you are on linux).
slowace

Post by slowace »

I've wished for this same feature, in order to be able to control transmission's bandwidth using QOS at the router instead of using arbitrary speed limits from within transmission. For now, I'm running the daemon in a tiny linux VM (running under VirtualBox) which has a virtual network interface with its own IP address. Works great, but it's a bit of a challenge to set up at first (have to mount my download directory on the host OS as a share in linux, and configure the daemon to use that directory) and of course there's some additional memory and CPU overhead.
monch9

Post by monch9 »

Hi,

I'm new to the Transmission/NAS world. My ReadyNAS currently has 2 networks connected to it. One is the VPN router, the other a regular router. Can I set it such that Transmission will only chose the regular router for torrents (up/download). How do I install the patch that x190 pointed to?

Monch