Transmission and VsFTPd on Ubuntu Server

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
Yuu

Transmission and VsFTPd on Ubuntu Server

Post by Yuu »

Hi !

I am running a Ubuntu Server 9.10 which works great.

I am using Transmission as my torrent client (my favourite !) and VsFTPd as my FTP server.

Everything works great excepted that I want to get Transmission and VsFTPd to use the same directory. My easiest choice would be using my root directory, as I use my server only as a seedbox, but maybe does it cause security problems ?

SInce I am quite new to this (learned Linux two days ago), I am somewhat confused about how to achieve that, especially since it's the only thing I haven't sorted out yet. And yes, I crawled into wiki, tutorials, and all, but that part remains obscure for me. ^^

Thanks in advance for your kind answers.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: Transmission and VsFTPd on Ubuntu Server

Post by Jordan »

Yuu wrote:Hi !

I am running a Ubuntu Server 9.10 which works great.

I am using Transmission as my torrent client (my favourite !) and VsFTPd as my FTP server.

Everything works great excepted that I want to get Transmission and VsFTPd to use the same directory. My easiest choice would be using my root directory, as I use my server only as a seedbox, but maybe does it cause security problems ?

SInce I am quite new to this (learned Linux two days ago), I am somewhat confused about how to achieve that, especially since it's the only thing I haven't sorted out yet. And yes, I crawled into wiki, tutorials, and all, but that part remains obscure for me. ^^

Thanks in advance for your kind answers.

All you have to do is make Transmission user your /home/*user* holder as the default. Because when you login with vsftp, it will automatically go to your home directory. At a guess, "chmod 777 /home/*user*" might get it to work.

;)
Yuu

Re: Transmission and VsFTPd on Ubuntu Server

Post by Yuu »

Thank you. Figured it out, and forgot to post about it.

Anyway, I was a little bit anxious about chmod 777. But the fact you suggested that comfort me. I am all good now, thanks to you ! :-)

By the way, I ditched VsDTPd and use SFTP now. Transmission was my favorite on Mac, and it is now my favorite on Linux !

Thank you very much for your valuable work ! :-)