Help with headless Fedora install

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
deepgreens

Help with headless Fedora install

Post by deepgreens »

Can someone please lend me a hand, or point me to a how to, installing Transmission on a headless Fedora 11 box?

Many thanks!
rb07

Re: Help with headless Fedora install

Post by rb07 »

Code: Select all

# yum list \*transmission\*
... the list of available packages for your architecture (example for mine)
Installed Packages
transmission.i586                        1.83-1.fc11                    @updates
transmission-cli.i586                    1.83-1.fc11                    @updates
transmission-common.i586                 1.83-1.fc11                    @updates
transmission-gtk.i586                    1.83-1.fc11                    @updates
Available Packages
transmission.i586                        1.90-1.fc11.1                  updates 
transmission-cli.i586                    1.90-1.fc11.1                  updates 
transmission-common.i586                 1.90-1.fc11.1                  updates 
transmission-daemon.i586                 1.90-1.fc11.1                  updates 
transmission-gtk.i586                    1.90-1.fc11.1                  updates 
transmission-qt.i586                     1.90-1.fc11.1                  updates 
# yum install transmission-daemon
... this will download all required dependencies
After that you should check the configuration left by the installer, and configure your system to start the daemon automatically, finally start the daemon :

Code: Select all

# cat /etc/sysconfig/transmission-daemon
# chkconfig transmission-daemon on
# service transmission-daemon start
The /etc/sysconfig/transmission-daemon file actually doesn't have anything defined, just 3 commented lines that don't even show the defaults. Those defaults are: the daemon is run by user transmission, doesn't require authentication, it uses block list (if you put the block list where it should go), it stores configuration on /var/lib/transmission/.config/ and everything else at the same directory level.

Next time, don't ask in the GTK forum questions about the daemon (GTK+ means GUI, daemon does not depend on GTK).
deepgreens

Re: Help with headless Fedora install

Post by deepgreens »

Thanks rb07! That's exactly what I needed. Sorry about posting in the wrong section - I should have known.