install and configure Transmission

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
pim050

install and configure Transmission

Post by pim050 »

Greetings,

I have recently installed ubuntu 10.04 on a laptop that I have and have stowed away somewhere. I used to use to to download, store and stream my media.
I have seen how nice the Transmission interface is on a Mac and its WebUI and when I found out there was a linux counterpart. Needless to say this is what I would like to run on the new ubuntu laptop.

After some initial reading on how to get this fixxed I am sadly at a point that my lack of ubuntu experience is catching up with me.
From what I gathered on this forum up until and around version 1.5, you needed transmission-daemon and remote to have remote acces. Now at version 1.92/1.93 that is no longer the case. I hope im right up until here.

I have followed the instructions (for a command line install), added a transmission user, and launched the transmission-daemon. Configured the settings.json file.
At this point what i want the program to do do not work. I fail to connect to the webui and adding a .torrentfile in the 'listen' directory will not initiate a transfer.
The instructions that I am following are from this site: http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/HeadlessUsage and I'm afraid im doing something wrong configuring settings.

My question before im posting/spamming this forum with my individual case and settings file is:
Have I installed the correct file, transmission-daemon?
Is it possible to get a webUI with just installing transmission-daemon?
and
Am I using the correct how-to section of this forum?

Please note that I didnt encounter this problem 5 minutes ago. I've been trying to retrace steps and read up on this forum and suggestions given. At this point though I hope that with some direction and help I can finish installing Transmission.

Thanks for your time.
Longinus00

Re: install and configure Transmission

Post by Longinus00 »

Since ubuntu is a debian based distro, you'll want to take a look at this page. http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/UnixServer/Debian
pim050

Re: install and configure Transmission

Post by pim050 »

Thanks, helpfull.!