A lot more group features

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
bdfortin

A lot more group features

Post by bdfortin »

While groups are a great way to stay organized, and I applaud the dev team's efforts so far, I still think there's a lot that can be done with groups.

For one, when the Use Groups feature is activated it would be nice to be able to collapse the groups into the group's title bar.

Another thing to look into would be to have download folders for each group. If a download was in the Music group, let's say, it would automatically download to the Music sub-folder in the Downloads folder, Movies into a Movies sub-folder, etc. This could be extended to the "keep incomplete files in:" feature. It could also be extended to the "watch for torrent files in:" feature, where if the name of the sub-folder in which the torrent is found matches the name of a group, the torrent can automatically be added to that group and downloaded to the appropriate sub-folder.

Groups are all about staying organized, and I think adding these features in would just keep things even more organized outside of the program.

Also for personal preferences, there should be an option as to what kind of group colouring there is. Instead of having a colour badge under the icon, maybe the user could choose a gradient, or even a whole background colour, etc.

Thanks for reading. Hope you consider it!
dbr

Post by dbr »

I agree, the groups thing is a great improvement, but could be used in so many more ways.
The most obvious improvement I can think of is to update the OS X Finder label/colours to be the same as the downloads. It shouldn't alter the file contents at all..?

An option to name the colours, like in OS X > Finder Preferences > Labels would be useful. And if the client was able to move completed torrents to a subfolder named after the label name - it would be.. perfect.
That is the only uTorrent feature I really miss in Transmission..

And since I was bored, I threw together a quick mockup of what I'd like it to look like:
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

dbr wrote:An option to name the colours, like in OS X > Finder Preferences > Labels would be useful. And if the client was able to move completed torrents to a subfolder named after the label name - it would be.. perfect.
That is the only uTorrent feature I really miss in Transmission..
Transfer -> Group -> Show Groups -> double click a name
elictricocean

Post by elictricocean »

the groups window keeps disappearing and does not get activated when i choose it. it might be better as a panel which overlays the main window...
bdfortin

Post by bdfortin »

Collapsable groups in the nightlies! That was quick. Thanks! :D

If the other features come that fast, I might just call you guys the best dev team in the world! :lol:
bdfortin

Post by bdfortin »

Would it also be possible, if the seperate-folders-for-seperate-groups feature is added, to have the download folder be automatically chosen in the Add Torrent dialogue when the group is chosen?
macintoshhd

Post by macintoshhd »

bdfortin wrote:Would it also be possible, if the seperate-folders-for-seperate-groups feature is added, to have the download folder be automatically chosen in the Add Torrent dialogue when the group is chosen?
I agree, this would be a GREAT feature, as well as ratio specific stops for groups. Please see http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?t=4070

Click on the image to see ticket 757
Gfunk

Group Speed Limit

Post by Gfunk »

Groups are a wonderful addition for management. I agree that being able to set a seed limit for each group would be helpful, but I think being able to set the upload rate maximum for each group would be even more beneficial. This way if you needed to get a ratio up for a particular file you could without sinking your whole network.
macintoshhd

Re: Group Speed Limit

Post by macintoshhd »

Gfunk wrote:Groups are a wonderful addition for management. I agree that being able to set a seed limit for each group would be helpful, but I think being able to set the upload rate maximum for each group would be even more beneficial. This way if you needed to get a ratio up for a particular file you could without sinking your whole network.
Indeed, this would make Transmission very, very powerful, yet simple.
bdfortin

Re: A lot more group features

Post by bdfortin »

Wow, amazing work by the dev team in the latest release. Group folders, group criteria, global bandwidth exclusion, and (in an earlier release) IPv6. Great job, guys!

The only thing you leave me wanting from my original post (more adapted to the recent changes) is the ability to watch for torrents in sub-folders and have a group criteria based on the sub-folder's name, and having files automatically move to a different group folder if the group changes.

For example, I keep a lot of TV show torrents in an aptly-named "TV Shows" subfolder. It would be nice if Transmission could recognize that the sub-folder exists in my main torrents folder, recognize the torrents in the sub-folder, add them to Transmission in a "TV Shows" group based on the criteria of the sub-folder's name (and maybe even put them in their own sub-folders, with the same names as the torrents, in the group folder), and when they're finished move them to another group ("Finished TV Shows") and group folder.

I know it won't be at the top of anyone's priority list, just some wishful thinking (again). Hopefully it only takes about a year, like before. :)
kine

Re: A lot more group features

Post by kine »

Oh, i hope i can add something here too:

The new groups criteria thing is amazing, thanks for that. But would it be possible eventually to check for criteria not only when something is added but also when some event occurs afterwards? For example, i would like to be able to automatically move torrents to a particular group once a certain ratio is reached, or once the download is complete.

I haven't thought this through all the way, but maybe this could be implemented by adding a third check box to the 'Groups' preferences that says like 'Assign group to existing transfers based on criteria', and then in the Edit pane for that you would have criteria like ratio, whether the download is complete, whether seeding is complete, number of days since the torrent was added, &c.