Priority/rank question

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
transmit

Priority/rank question

Post by transmit »

Does the priority/rank system only affect files within a single torrent or is it universal? If I rank an MP3 in one torrent up, does it get priority over all the files in a different torrents, or just over the other files in its own torrent? Also, if I have two files and rank one up and one down, is that somehow different from ranking one up and one neutral? Thanks!
Yada

Re: Priority/rank question

Post by Yada »

transmit wrote:Does the priority/rank system only affect files within a single torrent or is it universal? If I rank an MP3 in one torrent up, does it get priority over all the files in a different torrents, or just over the other files in its own torrent?
I was wondering this myself this morning and found this topic. Can't find the answer anywhere. Does anyone know?
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

No, priorities only have effect within the torrent. T uses priorities to determine which pieces to request to the peers of that torrent.
Jayrome

Post by Jayrome »

I have another question. Do the file priority settings affect seeding? I need that behavior. There are several Linux distros in my queue, and I want them to seed as much as requested no matter the rest.
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

No, priorities only have effect within the torrent. T uses priorities to determine which pieces to request to the peers of that torrent.

Hmm, didn't I say this in my previous post?
RemsX

Post by RemsX »

Well - he's asking a good question - and regardless of whatever you said before (per torrent basis or global) his question is still totally valid. In this case he means on a global scale, as you can see by reading the post. If you weren't aware that torrents can be prioritized globally then you shouldn't be so snappy with your replies. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to this, myself, either. Although I would assume so. TBH I haven't noticed a huge difference using the priority settings at all, but that's just my experience. I know you can allocate additional bandwidth by going to the inspector. You could throttle your other downloads and be sure to leave extra for the important seeds if that's acceptable.
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

you're replying to a really old thread - i don't think transmission had per-torrent priority settings back in those days.