Imageshack uses Transmission?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
amc1

Imageshack uses Transmission?

Post by amc1 »

Hi,

amc1 the Azureus dev is here again. *waves*

Just thought you might like to know that I had a look at Imageshack's torrent service, tested with an example torrent (because I wanted to get the peer identification sorted), and the peer seems to be identifying itself as Transmission 1.10.

Don't know if you were aware of it (didn't see other posts in the forum mentioning it) - just wanted to say... well done. :)

amc1.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Personally, I think that's a hoot. If one of the imageshack devs reads this, feel free to post here or PM me. I'd love to hear the story behind that.

On the other hand, is it true that Imageshack's beta stops seeding once a torrent's completed? That's not good. :(

Thanks for the heads-up, amc1...
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

Thats cool! Thanks amc1 for the post, and the heads-up!
amc1

Post by amc1 »

Jordan wrote:On the other hand, is it true that Imageshack's beta stops seeding once a torrent's completed? That's not good. :(
It does appear to be, unfortunately. This post seems to agree with me - mind you, that comment was made about a month and a half ago, I could've just read that rather than testing with it in the first place... :)
janderso

Imageshack uses Transmission

Post by janderso »

Hi guys, and Waldorf, thanks for the email and invitation to post. I have been working on the torrent stuff at imageshack.

We have been using Transmission 1.10 CLI via the torrentflux-b4rt package and Python + BitTornado for selective downloading. At the time we were unable to use transmissioncli exclusively as transmissioncli did not seem to have an option to support selective downloading, and the daemonized version just wasn't working for us / refused to move data for some reason (this was a few months ago now though, have not tested lately).

The Python + BitTornado combination requires amounts of memory several times greater then transmissioncli, so we use this client during selective downloads only.

Benefiting from transmissioncli's small memory footprint, using both clients made it possible to handle significantly more simultaneous downloads while keeping selective functionality when needed.

As for the seeding, we are currently seeding at a fixed rate during the download, and stop the process once it finishes. This translates into the logic of "the less healthy a torrent is, the more it gets seeded". Though not realized by many (and I have seen lots of passionate emails come through on this subject), the unhealthy torrents actually reap the most benefit from this. We see very large contribution ratios to (900%+ sometimes) to the sickly torrents over long spans of time.

We also have a special account setup where we permanently seed some linux and freebsd torrents.

The service is still in beta though and things are still being tweaked. I was given the OK to seed to 100% or even 150% which should be implemented before the end of this week.

Also, looking at the recent happenings of transmission's development, the daemonzed beta version is looking absolutely amazing!

Josh
Jethryn Freyman

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

Awesome :)
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

Awesome indeed.

For more in depth discussions or request, feel free to jump into our [url=irc://irc.freenode.net/transmission]IRC channel[/url].
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Hi Josh, thanks for posting!

If you have any suggestions or feature requests for the Daemon/RPC rewrite, feel free to ask. I'm currently trying to finalize the spec for 1.30. :)
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: Imageshack uses Transmission?

Post by Jordan »

Josh, as of 1.30 you can do specific file selection in the daemon, so maybe you don't need BitTornado anymore. :)