Transmission causes leopard slow death

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
DaniB

Re: Transmission causes leopard slow death

Post by DaniB »

It's just that Transmission is one of my favorite apps :) I don't want to have to switch to Azuerus or uTorrent. Transmission is the best bittorent client on any plattform IMHO. I understand the developers are working as hard as they can on this.
mezz

Post by mezz »

It's very difficult to figure what's problem when most of us can't reproduce it. Also, there are a few different problems in here that make worst. For example, some said that were solved by tweak with NIC driver, time machine, correct DNS resolve, uncheck the automatic port, back to 1.22 and etc. :?
lopoz

Post by lopoz »

The latest nightly seems to be working better for me..

I just finished a 3 GB torrent without a freeze, at around 10MB/s (maxing out at 22MB/s), speeds I have never before seen in Transmission.
xype

Post by xype »

Hi all, I'm new here and to Transmission as well. Haven't even used it yet. So what, you say? Well, the reason I'm looking into Transmission as my new BT client is because I've started experiencing almost the exact same problems myself using Azureus.

I was really surprised to find this thread because after weeks of experiencing ever-increasing and seemingly inconsistent network bogdowns (I even went to the degree of getting my ISP to send me a new modem), I've just realized that everything is quite stable as long as I don't run Azureus. I've used Azureus for years and this is the first time I've seen it act like this (very similar to what you guys have been describing on the network clogging side, no web, no mail, etc.).

I'm posting this simply as a heads-up that this may not be application specific, but as a previous poster mentioned, something to do with happenings in the wild with DNS resolutions and torrent apps bring it to light because of their extensive use of tracking many servers/IPs.

I'm no expert, just found it all kinda coincidental.

ps - I'm also here because Azureus is really starting to bug me with how Windoze-like it is. :evil: I was really excited to try Transmission.

(OSX 10.5.5)
marioestrada

Post by marioestrada »

Xype: Transmission is great, there's been some problems with the latest versions, so be sure to try 1.22 http://helma.org/docs/guide/framework
Yada

Post by Yada »

I'd say only use 1.22 if the latest version gives you trouble, cause I haven't seen any problems at all with 1.34. It can run for days/weeks on my Leopard systems without anything going wrong :)
verses

Post by verses »

mezz wrote:some said that were solved by tweak with NIC driver, time machine, correct DNS resolve, uncheck the automatic port, back to 1.22 and etc. :?
I'm the person who suggested Time Machine and I can confirm that it appears to have been a red-herring. I still have Time Machine disabled, but have seen the slow-down/death in the last week.
All appears to be fine if I stick to having 1 or 2 torrents downloading at a time (which is usual for me), but one day I added 5, the next time I came back to the Mac it had died. I restarted it and reloaded Transmission with the same Torrents and after a while it died again. Finally I restarted and clicked the pause icon on 3 of the torrents, the remaining 2 downloaded fine, I then unpaused the others and let them download 1 at a time and again they downloaded without issue.

Personally I can live with only having a couple of downloads at a time.

Cheers,

Ian
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

marioestrada wrote:Xype: Transmission is great, there's been some problems with the latest versions, so be sure to try 1.22
As I keep saying, have you tried a nightly? I'm getting much better connectivity with the nightlies than I've had in a long time. http://transmission.xpjets.com/
jah

Post by jah »

I think I just experienced this 'bug' for the first time. Using r6950 (so a few revisions old). Luckily it didn't completely crash my computer, although I had to be patient as it did turn to molasses for about 20 mins, until I force quit everything except T. I am back to normal now, without a restart.

I had just installed Crossover Mac. Does anyone experiencing the 'death' have Crossover installed?? Quitting Crossover seemed to fix the problem for me?
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Jah: Are you serious? Perhaps, you know, Crossover, caused this issue. 1. Didn't happen until Crossover was installed. 2. Quitting Crossover fixed it. 3. Crossover is obviously an intensive app.
akjeter

Post by akjeter »

Well, I'm very disappointed to say the least. I tried all versions, even the nightly build with no success. I've been trying to download one torrent, its 6.92 gb and the farthest I've gotten is 8% and thats with like 12 hours of download. It constantly crashes, it always makes the weird sounds everything freezes up the pinwheel and it may at times come out of it, but just to force me to hold down the power button. I really want this torrent and both this, and azureus crash on me. I like transmission for everything it has except that it just won't work for me. Trying new things is painful because it just ends in me holding down my power button. Please can someone help I just want to get this to work. My port is open and everything, it doesn't go at particularly high speeds it just happens randomly.
jah

Post by jah »

livings, just putting it out there. it seems like there has not been much success in fixing this bug. why you feel the need to take the piss is beyond me.
gcoghill

Post by gcoghill »

I found Transmission was killing my connection just as other users have said (network is OK, but can't access anything online). Required a reboot of the router.

I noticed that for some reason Transmission wasn't honoring my transfer settings for seeding/downloading -- every last torrent was active. I paused them all then manually restarted a few and now things seems to be back to normal, at least so far. I also made enough transfers active so that they were in the queue, so it seems to be working OK.

Doesn't sound like this will fix a lot of the other situations on this thread, but I thought the information was worth adding to the pool.

** Update: Looks like Transmission is still allowing more seeds than I set in the prefs. I have it at 3, and 5 are now active. I thin over time seeds just built up to the point that they were somehow choking the router. At least that's my guess.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

jah: Again this bug is very hard to diagnose because a lot of the report in this thread are unrelated, making it extremely difficult. For example, when a user reports that another app is causing it and then blaming Transmission randomly. Stupidity like this makes it difficult to even determine what app causes the issue.
jah

Post by jah »

livings: i do not know if you you are referring to my post or not. However labeling any poster's contribution as 'stupid' is not conducive to a civil discussion, and probably alienates that poster when really they were just trying to help.