[SOLVED] Transmission crashes WiFi CONSTANTLY!

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
oiriodmj

[SOLVED] Transmission crashes WiFi CONSTANTLY!

Post by oiriodmj »

I downloaded transmission as an alternative to Azureus because I didn't like all the extra crap that came with Azureus and I like how simple Transmission is.

I keep having this problem where about half way through a download Transmission would quit downloading and my WiFi would crash. I would have to reset my router and start again to get it working. This only happens when Transmission is active and I would have to do this about 2 or 3 times before a download completes. Any ideas as to why this is happening and what I should do to solve the problem?
iHEARTleeching

Post by iHEARTleeching »

What version are you using?
Because I have had similiar issues from time to time, but I'm glad to say the newest dailies seem to take care of the issue.
Jethryn Freyman

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

Link in my signature.
publicfacing

Post by publicfacing »

In Transmission -> Preferences -> Peers Lower your "Global maximum connections" and "Maximum connections for new transfers". I can't recall what the default setting is, but try knocking 50-75 off each of those numbers and see if that helps.

Also, go to your router manufacturer's website and make sure you have the latest firmware installed -- Linksys especially has become more BitTorrent friendly in recent updates.

(This is in addition to trying a nightly, of course).

Happy torrenting!
waffl

Re: Transmission crashes WiFi CONSTANTLY!

Post by waffl »

I don't want to hijack the thread or anything - but I have a Netgear WNR2000 router on an ADSL connection. If I run more than one torrent, it seems to crash the router to the point of having to physically reset it every time it happens (about 20-30 minutes after starting Transmission). I've disabled SPI in the router and it had no effect, although perhaps it seems to have delayed the crash a little). I have NAT enabled and the port automatically mapped. It happens both with bandwidth limited or not. I've also dropped global connections down to 150 and new file connections to 20 and it still happens... It's strange because this never happened once with my old linksys... Alas, just wondering if anyone has any clue or experience about what might be going on?

I am using Transmission 1.42 (7494) on OS X 10.5.6 on a macbook pro 2.6 (last before unibody)
davidzizza

Post by davidzizza »

I have a TrendNet TEW631-BRP wireless router and am experiencing the exact same problem. Every time I launch the program, the WIFI goes down. I have to unplug the router and plug it back in to get it to work. I am using 1.5.1 of Transmission on an Intel Duo iMac 2.33GHz, using 10.5.6 OS X. Thanks for your help.
Taranaki

Post by Taranaki »

I have a similar issue with my D-Link G604T. Early on (a year or so ago) I got quite good transfers, i.e. 8 or more, and only every so often my modem froze and I would have to reset it. Gradually it happened more and more to a point now where it freezes my whole modem after only 10 secs ... even after I have reduced the transfers to 1 and reduce peers and download/upload rates to next to nothing ... freezing at 2kbps doesn't look like a bandwidth issue. I am running v1.50. Running on Mac OSX 10.5.5. And it happens on my intel CoreDuo2 iMac just as quickly as it does on my g4 1.33 PBook.

Any ideas?
Taranaki

Post by Taranaki »

I have done a lot more reading and getting my head around the issue. I don't know much about this stuff. Saw some comments made in this thread http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... f=2&t=2868

I tried the advice: "A quick follow-up to this: it seems the poison peers don't support encryption, so you may be able to work around this bug without upgrading by turning on "ignore unencrypted peers" It was an old quote but I tried it and it seems to have worked so far. I have had 2 transfers going on at a moderate pace for the last hour without my modem freezing.

I will post again if the issue comes back or if there are any improvements in performance after trying more transfers
Taranaki

Post by Taranaki »

Just an update ... have used Transmission for 24hrs and no freezes, no crashes. Looks like the problem is solves. Thanks. :P 8-)