Is max-peers-global = max. number of connections?

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Master One

Is max-peers-global = max. number of connections?

Post by Master One »

Since I am actually investigating strange connection drops from my ISP, I was wondering if it is about too many open connections on my transmission-daemon v.1.51 machine.

Looking through settings.json, I only can find

Code: Select all

"max-peers-global": 200,
"peer-limit-global": 240,
"peer-limit-per-torrent": 60, 
but nothing like "max-connections".

So is "max-peers-global" = max. number of connections?
Can there be only one connection from/to each peer?
If max-peers-global = max. number of connections, what is peer-limit-global then?

I am clearly confused about these settings. I just wrote a little script to check on the actual and max. number of ESTABLISHED connections on the hosts running transmission-daemon, and it always stays around 220 with a maximal number of 234 (which includes my ssh connections to that box as well), so it looks like max-peers-global should indeed really mean max-connections-global.
essiw

Re: Is max-peers-global = max. number of connections?

Post by essiw »

I have in my preferences 2 things:
1) Global max: 1000 peers
2) New transfers: 100 peers

1) is the maximum peer limit.
2) is the peer limit per torrent

So i guess 1) is the same as "max-peers-global" but I am not sure what the "peer-limit-global" is
Ghirai

Post by Ghirai »

Master One wrote:Since I am actually investigating strange connection drops from my ISP, I was wondering if it is about too many open connections on my transmission-daemon v.1.51 machine.
I experienced new connection drops as well, but it's because of my shitty ADSL router which craps out at ~700 states or so; it's not the ISP's fault.
Maybe you have the same issue...
Master One

Post by Master One »

That OT, but it's definitely not a problem due to shitty ADSL router here, because my ADSL modem is used in bridge mode, PPPoE is done by my firewall-gateway, and I'm still using transmission with the default settings (so "max-connections"=200).

Since my guess is "max-peers-global" = "max-connections", I am still wondering, what "peer-limit-global" is then all about, and which values I should set for "max-peers-global", "peer-limit-global" and "peer-limit-per-torrent", if I want to allow up to 2000 simultaneous BT connections.
Master One

Post by Master One »

Either the EditConfigFiles wiki page has recently been updated, of I have overlooked the fact, that max-peers-global is a legacy option from 1.4x, which has been replaced by peer-limit-global. I guess I can delete that option from my settings.json.

Then it makes sense, to just have to adapt

Code: Select all

* peer-limit-global: Number (default = 240)
    * peer-limit-per-torrent: Number (default = 60) 
with peer-limit-global = max. number of connections.