Transmission causes leopard slow death

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
kidmidnight

Re: Transmission causes leopard slow death

Post by kidmidnight »

yep still working. if it works for a week or so i think we can consider the problem kinda fixed. its such an intermittent thing that its hard to say if the fix real or not, but a week should give it plenty of time.
kidmidnight

Post by kidmidnight »

crap. just slowdeathed me. not saying the fix didnt work though, as i may have done it wrong.
husky

Post by husky »

I tried the fix and Transmission 1.52 has been running fine for the past few days. Great find! Let's hope this gets into the 1.53 release and the developers take notice...
husky

Post by husky »

Hmm.. just over half an hour after i wrote that previous entry i got the ol' leopard crash again. It seems the bug is still there, but at least it took more time than in previous occurrences.
parodyr

Post by parodyr »

Transmission has been running without problems for about 3 weeks now with the settings. I have tried 1.50, 1.51, and 1.51+ (Build 8216) with many sped changes. Hmm, I dunno - for me it works now. But what exactly the solutions is depends on more tests to be made by others.
_Karma_

Post by _Karma_ »

I recently had to replace a hard drive on my iBook after having this very same type of constant freezing problem I had with Azureus. At the time the trouble began, I had no problems with any other applications, nor did I ever experience any system instability. The freeze would happen a few minutes after opening but then there were times when it didn't immediately happen. All of the sudden I'd look over and my whole system would be in a partially frozen, basically, nonfunctional state.

After happening a few times one day I came to find it frozen again and had to do a force restart....Upon doing so, my mac would no longer start.. After a few times of trying, it finally started so I ran my utilities and fixed my permissions and all seemed well. After running awhile without problems I just thought perhaps it was a system issue that was cleared up by a bit of cleanup and maintenance. So, I fired up Azureus again...seemed fine for a day or so.
Then suddenly it happened again....I found it with the spinning wheel barely conscious and had to force a restart. Now, this was the worst part...I finally got my computer to start up, ran a disk check....and FAILING was my new hard drive status! This is after weeks of running fine.....One last fling with Azureus and all was over. Now, it's always possible that my hard drive was destined to die young and this just brought it on sooner (I'm sure of that, but it may have been faulty hardware in the first place) but I am very, very worried to see this same thing now happening with Transmission.

I switched from Azureus for this exact reason and now with my brand new drive, Transmission is doing the same thing. I've just read somewhere that Azureus was supposedly fixed recently so maybe it wouldn't hurt to see what they did to fix it.
Transmission seemed to work okay for awhile with the occasional sluggishness, but with this last (pretty large, 2gb) torrent, every time I open the program it will act like it's doing fine, a minute will go by and I'll check on it and.....spinning wheel, non fuctional. (It's only semi-frozen in that you can move your mouse and open a few menus...but nothing happens when I click on the menus. Same, exactly, as Azureus problem)

There's something wrong with the way these programs interact with this operating system and it's not exclusive to Transmission as has been established. This last update has been completely unsuccessful for me in that it freezes in minutes. I haven't given it too many goes as I'm sure you can understand, but I believe this problem is more dangerous than it may seem. Not everyone will have this experience and I may very well have had initially faulty hardware, but the fact is, this same problem with Azureus killed my hard drive on the very first time I used it after having no problems for months....Basically, it finished the job.

The facts are all there, though I did try to spice up the suspense by using lots of consecutive periods............;) I just want to put my experience out there to suggest that people be very careful when dealing with this problem if it's longstanding and happens frequently on your system.

I wish very much to use Transmission as my client. I'm going to try the tips mentioned about speed and number of connections but with much caution. Transmission is the best client I've ever used even next to windows uTorrent which was always my favorite. I hope some genius can figure out exactly where the problem lies and why some people are having this issue.

Cheers.
twooper

Post by twooper »

I had the same problem since upgrading to 1.60 Beta 1. I reverted to 1.52, and most importantly, removed any files related to transmission in the user preferences folder. Fixed my problem. It started with the Beta version but the problem may just be incompatibilities in the preferences of the two versions.
kidmidnight

Post by kidmidnight »

removing old plists does nothing for the slow death problem. it is so intermittent that you will think its gone.. .. then bam. slow death.
erbasvizzera

Post by erbasvizzera »

I have the same problem, slow death.
i have tried many difference setting, but the only i think work is the change tcp setting from terminal.

but i can't crate a sysctl.conf on startup, i continue repeat the manual procedure from terminal at restart.
Can anyone explain me how create sysctl.conf file and put it on startup of pc?

Thanks
parodyr

Post by parodyr »

erbasvizzera wrote:I have the same problem, slow death.
but i can't crate a sysctl.conf on startup, i continue repeat the manual procedure from terminal at restart.
Thanks
Create a non-rich text text file (best by using TextMate or TextWrangler) with only following content in the file:

Code: Select all

net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=32768
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=32768
net.inet.tcp.win_scale_factor=1
net.inet.tcp.sockthreshold=0
After that, save the file as /etc/sysctl.conf

Normally, when you choose "Save As..." in any Mac OS X application, it won't show you the directory "/etc". In order to let it show it, choose "Save As..." and then type "/" in the save dialog. When you enter "/" , it will show you a textfield. Enter "/etc" and push return. The save dialog will then show you the content of "/etc". Now enter the filename "sysctl.conf" and hit "Save".

Of course, I prefer vi(m) to do this stuff :-)
absftw

Post by absftw »

^^^

Thanks so much parodyr!
erbasvizzera

Post by erbasvizzera »

parodyr wrote:
erbasvizzera wrote:I have the same problem, slow death.
Thanks
Create a non-rich text text file (best by using TextMate or TextWrangler) with only following content in the file:

Code: Select all

net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=32768
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=32768
net.inet.tcp.win_scale_factor=1
net.inet.tcp.sockthreshold=0
After that, save the file as /etc/sysctl.conf

Normally, when you choose "Save As..." in any Mac OS X application, it won't show you the directory "/etc". In order to let it show it, choose "Save As..." and then type "/" in the save dialog. When you enter "/" , it will show you a textfield. Enter "/etc" and push return. The save dialog will then show you the content of "/etc". Now enter the filename "sysctl.conf" and hit "Save".

Of course, I prefer vi(m) to do this stuff :-)

Many Thanks! :D
lexicalunit

Post by lexicalunit »

I made those changes and disabled bandwidth throttling and that seems to have worked. I was getting the SystemUIServer crash with 100% reproducibility until I made those changes.
Yada

Post by Yada »

lexicalunit wrote:I made those changes and disabled bandwidth throttling and that seems to have worked. I was getting the SystemUIServer crash with 100% reproducibility until I made those changes.
However, now you don't know if the changes you made, or the disabling of throttling was what solved the problem.
jinx

Post by jinx »

Oh, a side note for those still getting this problem: I also noticed that once you're "hanging" it IS still possible to rightclick the Transmission icon in the Dock and Force Quit it. It takes a few minutes, but eventually the task does die. Hopefully that will help those who are still having the bug from losing work ;)