Osprey 25.5.2 zaps bandwidth - PLEASE BAN

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
mj1441

Osprey 25.5.2 zaps bandwidth - PLEASE BAN

Post by mj1441 »

Just like User redarm (from 12/3/08), Osprey 25.5.2 (IP Address 97.119.xx.xxx) is STUCK AT 99.7 and 99.9 percent for 2 of my torrent seeds and it is ZAPPING ALL MY BANDWIDTH, not letting any other client download my seeds. Can Osprey 25.5.2 be permanently blocked? Is there anything I can do about it at my end? Thanks so much. Anxiously waiting for your reply
livings124
Transmission Developer

Re: Osprey 25.5.2 zaps bandwidth - PLEASE BAN

Post by livings124 »

It is not our client's place to ban clients - and for all you know it could be a coincidence that these are the peers that are stuck. Consult the tracker to ban specific clients.
fahlmanc

Post by fahlmanc »

I have seen this as well, so I don't think it is a coincidence.

Transmission was uploading a piece from near the end of a large seeding file (a cd image of fedora), at a location of all zeroes. Perhaps something in this Osprey program doesn't like receiving all zeroes for some reason. This same IP running an Osprey client kept coming up for months (weird ...) .

I thought a single user ban might be handy. But, it is still pretty small potatoes.
essiw

Post by essiw »

I thought you can ban peers yourself to put another blocklist in the same directory as the Transmission blocklist.
Fiete5401

Post by Fiete5401 »

Now I have this problem too. Two torrents that I'm seeding for several days now are "captured" by peers using Osprey 25.5.2.
A solution in any way to this problem would be much appreciated.

BTW I've informed the tracker of this problem. No answer yet.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Osprey doesn't have any magical power to suck up all your bandwidth.

Transmission goes round-robin to dole out an equal amount of bandwidth to each peer. This is rarely equal in practice because some peers have more bandwidth available than others. It sounds like, in this case, these Osprey users have a lot of bandwidth available.
Fiete5401

Re: Osprey 25.5.2 zaps bandwidth

Post by Fiete5401 »

It's actually not that simple.
These Osprey peers are stuck at 99.7% or 99.9% and are sucking up bandwidth. They never get finished.
I remember one incident where one of these peers tried to download a 10 Mb file. He was stuck at 99.9% and he recieved 400 Mb from me.
I realise that from our side not much if anything can be done against this problem but it's kinda frustrating to see our ul-bandwidth wasted.