Transmission from command line.

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
betz

Transmission from command line.

Post by betz »

Hey there!

First of all, KUDOS for such a great torrent client. I use nothing else anymore since i met transmission.
But i have a question about it.

Is it possible to run transmission on a webserver from command line?
I now use the bittorrent-curses solution, but i love the web gui of transmission.
It would be very great to have the same on my remote webserver which has far more greater connection then my home pc.

I know there are unix binaries, but as i understand, you need a window manager for this. (i'm noob in this, corrent me if i'm wrong)
My server doesn't have this, but i know bittorrent has a commandline version, that's why i thought to ask here also.
Any help would be appriciated.

Greetings,
Tom
rb07

Re: Transmission from command line.

Post by rb07 »

betz wrote:Is it possible to run transmission on a webserver from command line?
Yes, that's what transmission-daemon and transmission-remote are for.
I know there are unix binaries, but as i understand, you need a window manager for this. (i'm noob in this, corrent me if i'm wrong)
My server doesn't have this, but i know bittorrent has a commandline version, that's why i thought to ask here also.
You are wrong, you don't need any window manager or web server for that matter, you must be confusing Unix desktop with headless server (transmission runs on both).
betz

Post by betz »

Thanx for the very quick reply.
I managed to install transmission-cli on my server now, tested with a torrent, but i get /root/Downloads doesn't exist.
If i go look in /root the folder is there. I try to remove the folder, i get message that folder doesn't exist, really strange.

Anyway, i would like to change the destination path anyway, where can i do this?
And how can i setup the web-interface?
betz

Post by betz »

UPDATE: if i started a torrent with command transmissioncli pathtotorrent.file, and i go fast at example.com:9091/web, the web-interface opens.
But as transmission stops with following error, the web-interface give's me a connection lost error.

Code: Select all

parent folder "/root/Downloads" does not exist
So i found the settings file at /root/.config/transmission-cli/settings.json
My download folder is setup ok. What's the error written above then about?
betz

Post by betz »

I found a forum topic that has been deleted but viewable with google cache about the same problem.

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:nP ... nl&ct=clnk

Is this a bug?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

transmission-cli is not the same and it doesn't use transmission-daemon.

The Web client is part of transmission-daemon. The settings.json file is only for transmission-daemon.

Better read the man page for each ("when nothing works as expected... is time to read the manual").