GUI in the style of Azureus/uTorrent

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
mustgroove

GUI in the style of Azureus/uTorrent

Post by mustgroove »

The one thing that holds me back from loving Transmission is the GUI... it's perfectly usable with small numbers of torrents, however it becomes unwieldy with large numbers of torrents. The main advantage of the Azureus/uTorrent style GUI is how easily you can sort by different parameters - date completed, upload speed, location, etc. etc... this makes it easier to manage large numbers of torrents.

Is there any chance that you might consider re-doing the GUI along those lines? I understand how the GUI is a way of differentiating Transmission from the rest and making it "special" but it really is a case of usability in the end.
essiw

Re: GUI in the style of Azureus/uTorrent

Post by essiw »

? I don't get it
You can sort by different parameters in T too (click on the thing next to the turtle at the soutwest corner of T and you can select "sort transfers at" (or something like that) also you can make groups and you can make it compact (Apple + T)
guilherme

Post by guilherme »

Hehe... I'm going on the opposite way - hoping for a Windows client (with GUI - transmission-daemon + web doesn't counts =P) that has a GUI like Transmission's... The Mac client with Groups (Command/Apple+G) + auto-sorting + minimal view (Command+T) will occupy about the same screen space as uTorrent on Windows with the same ammount of torrents, while when it's handling fewer torrents, it's very compact...
(I might be incorrect, but I think that the GTK client's nightly builds - which will be 1.60 - still don't have groups)
TCB13

Post by TCB13 »

Are you crazy? lol

I've 150 active transfers now... and I don't have problems... transmission GUI is very good... clean and easy to use :P
Hat

Post by Hat »

I second this request. I have a bunch of torrents I'm seeding, and I have to go down the list with the Inspector open to see which ones are connected to peers ATM. Now, I could just look at the "UL: KB/s" on the right of every torrent--in fact I would--if only the damn font size was a couple points bigger! Honestly the only information a user can get out of a quick glance of Transmission is if their torrents completed. Otherwise it becomes a careful squinting game.
Aethor

Post by Aethor »

Guys... there is not one but two different GUIs that you can run on Windows (one of them also has Linux version) that internally connect to transmission-daemon

One is here: http://code.google.com/p/transmission-remote-dotnet/ (I use this one)

and the other here: http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui/ (has both Windows and Linux versions, but not updated as often as the first one)

You run them on your desktop/laptop/whatever, and the transmission-daemon runs wherever it runs - on the server, NAS box or something - and they behave as if they were a normal torrent app - except you can exit the application and the torrents are still running, since they're actually on transmission-daemon.