Transmission 1.74 Released!

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
moose

Re: Transmission 1.74 Released!

Post by moose »

Hey all,

Thanks for updating Transmission and continuing to develop it. I registered on this board specifically to request that the "Remove Torrent" feature be put back into place. I've read the arguments against it, but they all seem to boil down to: Why don't you do what you used to do differently? Well I for one manage my torrent files both inside and outside of Transmission, and because I sometimes use multiple torrent clients since I have a shared drive with the torrents and I have multiple machines that access that drive. I like managing my torrents externally because this allows me to easily see what new torrents I may want. It takes me much more time to scroll through the list of currently downloading, paused, or waiting to download torrents within Transmission than it does to do a quick finder check. And like I mentioned before, I use multiple clients and you can argue that I shouldn't, but I'm going to continue doing so.

I have started to manage the files manually, but it's becoming a bit of a burden to remove the file from the list of transmission completed torrents and then to go and remove the torrent. I would really rather you just add back in the functionality, or make it a command shortcut so I could continue to use Transmission the way I was previously using it. Thanks.
jondrum418

Post by jondrum418 »

livings124 wrote:jondrum418: You can recover the torrent file with command-S, making it easier to find than looking through a folder. So your only argument is negated. ;)
That still doesn't warrant the taking away of a command that 90% of your user's use or are at least used to without notice. Keep it up and you'll turn into Microsoft.
jondrum418

Post by jondrum418 »

If anyone wants to go back to 1.73 in the meantime, here's a link to download:

http://mac.oldapps.com/transmission.php ... 5#Download
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

jondrum418 wrote:
livings124 wrote:jondrum418: You can recover the torrent file with command-S, making it easier to find than looking through a folder. So your only argument is negated. ;)
That still doesn't warrant the taking away of a command that 90% of your user's use or are at least used to without notice. Keep it up and you'll turn into Microsoft.
I can make up statistics too. And I don't understand the Microsoft comparison. Do they refine Windows each release? I was under the impression they keep it bloated with tons of redundant and useless features.

I have yet to hear a convincing argument. And using multiple clients doesn't make much sense - if you're going to use another client, removing and trashing the torrent file seems like something you wouldn't want to do.
moose

Post by moose »

livings124 wrote:
I have yet to hear a convincing argument. And using multiple clients doesn't make much sense - if you're going to use another client, removing and trashing the torrent file seems like something you wouldn't want to do.
If I complete the download under Transmission, I don't really want the torrent to hang around so I inadvertently restart it. So:
  • 1. If I trash the file as soon as I add it into Transmission, I've lost the ability to manage the torrent outside of Transmission. This assumes that I will use Transmission to track all my currently uploading, paused, and waiting to download torrents. I do not.

2. If I have the ability to remove the torrent from within Transmission, then as soon as I complete a torrent and want to remove it, I can. This means when I check outside of Transmission to manage my torrents, its gone and thus I am not going to think that it hasn't been downloaded.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

moose: If you need the torrent file, use "Save Torrent File...". I have no idea what you mean "manage the torrent outside Transmission". You want to use Transmission to download/seed, but not manage? What does that mean?
moose

Post by moose »

What I mean is that when I go to add new torrents into my torrent folder, I use that folder view to decide what I am missing and need to add. I do not consult Transmission.

So I was thinking about the nitty-gritty of this feature request. One can delete torrents when they add them into a client or at some later time. Transmission used to allow us to choose which way we wanted. We could trash the torrent upon adding it and we could choose to delete it later. Now the UI has changed and you no longer have that second option.

I never trashed a torrent when I added it. I always kept my torrents on disk so I could view the torrent folder and know what might be missing or what I might want to get. I'd prefer to have the option again. With Transmission 1.74, I've lost that functionality, functionality which I have become comfortable with and for which I do not see why it was removed other than to clean up the presentation of the UI.

I believe there is merit to allowing both styles of torrent management. There are some users who trash their torrents immediately and there are some users who don't. Since the code worked to allow both ways before, why change it to eliminate user choice?
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

So you want them saved in a folder so that you can see what torrents you have running? And you want it deleted when you delete the transfer from Transmission? Why is it you can't look at the torrents in Transmission? That style of "torrent management" makes no sense to me - it seems redundant.
Since the code worked to allow both ways before, why change it to eliminate user choice?
This broke quite often, if the file was renamed or moved. It shouldn't be Transmission job to track around a file it has no need for.
JrWho

Post by JrWho »

I used to use the "Remove All Files" option too and I loved it. I could get past it being taken out IF the "Remove Data File" removed the folder and ALL its contents, because sometimes I'll unzip a file in that folder and now when I use the "Remove Data File" option it will still leave the folder and unzipped file behind, which gets really annoying. Still, the "Remove All Files" option being taken out is annoying to me, cause I keep the torrent files just incase something happens wrong in Transmission. I guess I'll have to get used to it though. :/
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

JrWho: The issue with removing data and removing the torrent file are completely unrelated. And removing data does not remove those intentionally - this was added so you do not delete data you added yourself by mistake.
JrWho

Post by JrWho »

Well can you add an option to delete all the data files? When I'm deleting something I usually know that I'm deleting other files in there.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Nope. If you click on delete data, it is going to delete only the data you have selected.
moose

Post by moose »

Well, I guess I give up. There seems to be a few people who the changes affected who have come here to discuss the changes, but each one of our use cases has been trivialized away. I don't plan on changing how I manage my torrents as it is a natural fit for me. I liked Transmission for doing that. I wish it would be put back in.

Unless something more meaningful can be discussed, I'm done with this topic.
phydeaux

Post by phydeaux »

$0.02 on what appears to be a knucklehead issue.

I, too, came here looking for a reason behind the missing "Remove torrent file" right-click option. I, too, am disappointed that it's gone and that it won't be returning. It's not a deal breaker that's going to drive me away from Transmission, but it is an annoying frustration.

Moose has described, almost verbatim, the same way I manage my torrents.

1) I do not want Transmission to "trash torrent on add" because I do not want anything auto-deleted. I'm kind of a neurotic control freak, perhaps, but I like to maintain that decision for myself.

2) I want to keep my torrent files around on my drive until I'm done with them. I don't want them absorbed into Transmission because Transmission is not my only use for them. I often pass a torrent to friends by email/IM/irc when I want to share something. I sometimes pass a torrent to another client and run them simultaneously. I sometimes have to move it to another client to get around private tracker restrictions. I sometimes want to archive the torrent file if I expect to be reseeding later (it's easier/better to seed into the old swarm rather than create a whole new swarm).

3) When I am finally done with a torrent, and I want it to go away, I want it to go away. Removing a torrent from the list without removing the underlying torrent file, is like uninstalling a program and leaving behind orphaned library and config files. It's sloppy, and bad form.

4) livings124 is arrogant. To answer a query with "Why are you doing that, that's stupid, that doesn't make sense," is fucked up. Especially given the query. We're not the ones breaking it. We're the ones using it correctly as designed...

"We took it out because it sometimes breaks when the torrent file gets moved or renamed." <-- That's stupid. That doesn't make sense. Why the fuck is anyone renaming or moving it while it's being used? Hello, McFly? Of course it's going to break if you move or rename it while it's being used.

That being said, here's my feature request for replacement functionality. How about a "purge completed torrents from list"? That way I can continue to micromanage my torrent files manually, and there's a quick clean-up solution for within Transmission to eliminate some of the redundancy of having to delete twice. That might satisfy both camps.

Thanks for Transmission, and all the work that goes into it. And thanks in advance for being a little more civil next time.
Last edited by phydeaux on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

I was about to write a long response to each issue, but I realize that anything I say that you do not agree with will get me called arrogant. I am not going to waste any more time with this issue.