Transmission 1.75b2 and uTorrent on Mac: speed?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
draga

Transmission 1.75b2 and uTorrent on Mac: speed?

Post by draga »

Hi everybody.
I've been performing some speed tests using both Transmission 1.75b2 and uTorrent (latest beta).
I prefer transmission, both as interface and features but my tests seem to say that uTorrent is faster.
Same torrent file, same machine, same port, same bw limits, same connections. Transmission averages at 180/200 KB/sec, with spikes of 300.
uTorrent averages at 350, with spikes of 500 (very often, I must say). 550 is the limit of my line (hardly enforced by my router).
Has anybody noticed the same results?
If downloading other torrents, as the Ubuntu iso, no differences and Transmission reaches the max permitted on this line.
What I've noticed, in general, is that Transmission tends to connect to other Transmissions (or deluge, qbittorrent, etc) while uTorrent prefers to connect to other uTorrents.
The weird thing is that often uTorrent's fastest sources are...Transmission clients!

Any hint? I'd like to use Transmission, it's far better (and Open Source, which is GREAT)...
Wowzera

Re: Transmission 1.75b2 and uTorrent on Mac: speed?

Post by Wowzera »

Hum, are you sure the ports are forwarded correctly? You checked if transmission shows the green light?
I've the same speed on both, my max download was 1.2MB/s and being regular of 1.1MB/s.
Sometimes when you disconnect from some peers then they seed for other people and you won't get the same speed. This is relative.
draga

Re: Transmission 1.75b2 and uTorrent on Mac: speed?

Post by draga »

Yes, all right with the ports.
I've performed more tests and I've noticed that, in the long term, Transmission goes as fast as uTorrent. It seems that Transmission needs more time to find good peers. uTorrent reaches the top speed (for that particular torrent) in just about 2 minutes, Transmission often needs far more time. Often, not always. But that's what happens. Maybe because of a different management of the connections.
Anyway, I've decided to use Transmission. It's a great piece of software and it's often updated.