Smarter Speed Limit

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
TheDov

Smarter Speed Limit

Post by TheDov »

I'd like to request a feature/fix (call it what you like) I don't think would be too hard to implement, but which makes a lot of sense.

Here's the scenario:
  • I set my Global Upload limit to 5 KB/s (It's usually 75 KB/s, but I have a momentary need for really low bandwidth usage)
  • Speed Limit upload limit set to 15 KB/s
  • Speed Limit is turned off
  • Speed Limit is scheduled from 3:00 pm until 10:00 pm
  • It is currently 2:59 pm
It rolls around to 3:00 pm, and Speed Limit gets activated. All of a sudden, my upload limit is increased by Speed Limit to 15 KB/s.

To me, the effective upload or download limit should be the lower of the Global and "Speed Limit" settings.

If that were the case, my uploads would stay capped at 5 KB/s at 3:00 pm, and when I set my Global back to 75 KB/s, where I usually keep it, the effective upload then goes to 15 KB/s, respecting Speed Limit.

Thanks!

By the way, (as an aside, and because I couldn't find anywhere to email this question to), I've checked out the code, and would like to contribute. Who do I need to contact, and what do I need to do?
Haravikk

Re: Smarter Speed Limit

Post by Haravikk »

Hmm, I'd rather the current behaviour, as it's foreseeable that you may have occasions when your download speed needs to be restricted, but perhaps your upload speed may increase. I mean, it's incredibly unlikely, but I think this would be better served by renaming the feature to something that suggests that the values will change, rather than necessarily be limited.