Help a newbie: where is transmission-remote?

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
mattrobs

Help a newbie: where is transmission-remote?

Post by mattrobs »

I'm new to the command line, so forgive my humiliating newbieness.

I'm trying to control Transmission via an Applescript (via shell commands). I've read that transmission-remote can do this excellently. First step: where is transmission-remote? Sample scripts refer to it being in /usr/bin/ or /usr/local/bin/, but it's not there. Is it something I have to install independently of Transmission.app? If so, how?

Many thanks.
onegoodpenguin

Re: Help a newbie: where is transmission-remote?

Post by onegoodpenguin »

Embarrassingly, I'm in the same boat. Please update if you figure it out!
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Your question would probably be easier to answer if you put it in the Mac section of the forum.

For us that don't use Mac the answer is easy: transmission-remote comes in the same package as transmission-daemon (if you install packages -- Linux, Mac ports or fink or whatever it is).

An option is to build it from source, if you have the tools (compiler, make, linker) and prerequisites (libcurl, other(s) I don't remember) its as easy as ./configure --enable-daemon --disable-cli --disable-gtk --prefix=/usr/local; make; make install . The "prefix" is the default, which is probably not what you want on Mac, I don't know what's the default PATH but you probably want it somewhere in that path.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

You have to build it yourself. On Mac, open the project in Xcode, select the remote target, and build.
mattrobs

Post by mattrobs »

OK. Transmission-remote is working fine. Thanks.

But -i doesn't seem to list all the information for a torrent. For example, I can set a seed ratio for a torrent, but I can't see what a torrent's seed ratio is in -i. Is this correct? This is an inherent limitation? Is there anyway around this?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Yes, that is correct, -i doesn't show seed ratio limit for a torrent.

No, there's no way around that with transmission-remote... the information is there since QTr shows it, but I don't know of a way to get it which has to involve sending the correct RPC command.