Starting WebUI from headless server

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
philhar

Starting WebUI from headless server

Post by philhar »

Hi,

I am following this wiki article on setting up a headless torrent server:

http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Hea ... ansmisison

My question is however, how do I start the WebUI? Obviously I've only got command line to my server so is there a set of commands to run and configure the WebUI?

Thanks!
micro77

Re: Starting WebUI from headless server

Post by micro77 »

hi
i'm using headless server too on debian.
if you want to autostart daemon on server :
nano /etc/rc.local

Code: Select all

# exit 0
transmission-daemon
thats all .
reboot your server.
and to using web gui : ip_adress:9091
theCrank

Post by theCrank »

If you follow the wiki article you'll install an init-script. This script starts transmission daemon which is responsible for serving the Webui.
jdarias

Post by jdarias »

Hello. I having trouble setting up the daemon, it doesn't start.

This is my config:

# The folder where Transmission stores the config
TRANSMISSION_HOME=/home/jdarias/.config/transmission-daemon

# The folder where Transmission stores downloads
TORRENTFOLDER=/media/Respaldo/Descargas/torrents

# The port Transmission uses to connect to other peers
PORT=58978

# The name of the user that should run Transmission
USERNAME=jdarias

# Login credentials for the Web- and the RPC-interface
REMOTE_USER=admin
REMOTE_PASS=password
Note that jdarias is the user wich i normally use to log into my computer.

So far when i reboot, the daemon desn't start and i cant access the webui. If i type transmission-daemon on a console the daemon starts and the webui is accesible. But the script is not working for me.
jdarias

Post by jdarias »

Ok i got it working.
You should make some precisions in the wiki:
The init.d script must be named "transmission-daemon", and the variable DAEMON= should point to where the transmission-daemon binary is. In ubuntu it is located in /usr/bin, not /usr/local/bin... users must check that and adapt the script to their configurations.
theCrank

Post by theCrank »

I added a paragraph about this problem. Additionally i did a minor change to the script. I couldn't test it. if someone could do it for me...

rb07, did you read the comments on the wiki-page?
pitr

Post by pitr »

I have made a another solution for starting the daemon using an Upstart job

It seems to be working for me. Note that you might have to change the location of the transmission-daemon, mine is in /usr/local/bin/ since I have installed it from source. You also will want to change the -g parameter to the location of your config directory.

Put this into a file called transmission inside /etc/event.d/

description "Transmission daemon"
author "Peter Andersson"

start on runlevel 2
stop on starting shutdown

console output

exec /usr/local/bin/transmission-daemon -g /home/pitr/.config/transmission-daemon/
respawn
You can test the job by running the following command

sudo start transmission
This have been tested on Ubuntu Server 8.04

Known problem is that I can't stop the job using "stop transmission", but thats I minor issue for me since I plan to run it 24/7.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

theCrank wrote:rb07, did you read the comments on the wiki-page?
Yes, I've read them, why do you ask?
theCrank

Post by theCrank »

Well, i was expecting a response :D

I split up the page myself. IMHO the page was to long. Maybe we can work on a general structure (setup, configuration, usage?) for a "headless-page". I want to avoid a lot of howtos, each one discussing the same topic for another distro and each one with another structure/look.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

theCrank wrote:Well, i was expecting a response :D
OK, sorry I didn't get your drift, since there was no question...
I split up the page myself. IMHO the page was to long. Maybe we can work on a general structure (setup, configuration, usage?) for a "headless-page". I want to avoid a lot of howtos, each one discussing the same topic for another distro and each one with another structure/look.
Yes, a good structure could make a better documentation... but my thought about the Gentoo part is that eventually it will be obsolete, and it should have been obsolete by now but there seems to be no (active)maintainer for the package at Gentoo, otherwise just by using what I submitted to their Bugzilla the installation, headless or not, would be a one-liner.

So, back to your idea, you want me to separate the Gentoo section in 3... just like the sections it has right now, but on 3 pages instead of one?
theCrank

Post by theCrank »

Nope, i was waiting your feedback on my thoughts about splitting the old / long page in a starting page and a page for each distro - just like it is now. I just changed it and wait for your thoughts on this =)

Another point is the structure of the pages: I believe it's best to define some kind of template or structure for the sub-pages / distro pages. It just makes searching the wiki more comfortable and keeping it up to date easier.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

OK, got it now ;-)

The structure you had originally was good, the outline links at the beginning help navigation a lot. I agree that the structure should be followed if other distribution requires notes (any takers for the Mac?).

As I said for Gentoo, if there was an active maintainer there would be no need for the Wiki documentation. It probably is the same with any distribution (hey, I can make a Solaris package if anyone is interested; also a Windows/Cygwin which is just as easy).
blackjancsi

Post by blackjancsi »

I also agree that the HOWTO structure isn't the most straight-forward for the headless systems. I am running Transmission 1.76 on a Western Digital MyBook World Edition II NAS powered by BusyBox, and it took me quite some time until I got it working (and even then, I used the start-up script from a different forum). For my distro, you have to rename the scripts into a S69... (startup) and K15... (shutdown) format. (For me, this is S90Transmision). S means that the init.d script runs it once it has lauched all the other scripts with lower numbers (e.g. S20, S30, etc). For the shutdown, it has to be done first (i.e. in reverse order). For me, it works fine now, I am doing the last rounds to have it running under a different user.