constant upload bandwidth 'leakage' with no torrents

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
volenin

constant upload bandwidth 'leakage' with no torrents

Post by volenin »

Hi,

I'm experiencing a weird problem running TBT 1.76 compiled from source on Ubuntu 8.04.2. After downloading a bunch of files, I removed all torrents, as well as downloaded data, from the WebUI. Now every time I restart the daemon, I do see pristine blank interface with no torrents at all.

The problem is whenever I start the daemon, I see on the router stats that my server starts consuming right away the upload bandwidth (ie, 'aka seeding from my client') at a constant rate of least 3.5Kb to 6Kb. As soon as I stop the daemon, the usage drops back to 0Kb - 0.05Kb.

Is this a bug or there is a possibility that transmission is still trying to upload some 'cached' content to the clients that used to be connected to it? I really doubt it's the latter though:

1) each time I restart transmission, it starts on the random port
2) I observe the same behaviour no matter how long time ago I stopped the client. Eg, last time I started up the daemon after it was down for over a month... I'm assuming whatever idling connections remained to my IP, should have been dropped by that time (and, again, the daemon got restarted on a different port than before...)

Does anyone else have the same problem?.. Thanks!
Rolcol

Re: constant upload bandwidth 'leakage' with no torrents

Post by Rolcol »

I doubt Transmission would be sharing information with any past peers if there are no torrents.

Possible reasons why there's network activity:
  • Transmission is attempting to open the port by sending messages to the router.
  • You still have some torrents added and Transmission is scraping the trackers for peer information
  • DHT could be communicating with the bootstrap nodes, if you have it enabled (I'm not sure on the internals for DHT)
  • It's still getting handshake messages and requests from previous peers. (unlikely if it's opening a random port)
Maybe you could attempt to sniff your connection?
volenin

Re: constant upload bandwidth 'leakage' with no torrents

Post by volenin »

Hmm... I tried another torrent client (deluge 1.2-rc4) and observed similar thing - slow leakage of 'up' bandwidth, though to a lesser degree. Probably it's a protocol thing after all. My concern is that all the connections I'm seeing on the 'idle' transmission client are UDP ones coming to the listener BT listener port. And the destination IPs seem to be just ordinary random clients on the net... Don't know much about the protocol myself, so it might be a legit traffic. Will try to sniff the traffic in more details...