Transmission 1.80 beta 5

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
livings124
Transmission Developer

Transmission 1.80 beta 5

Post by livings124 »

Transmission 1.80 beta 1 is available for download now here. This is an exciting release with magnet link support, announcing to multiple trackers at once, and much more! Please give it a test and supply feedback here, both positive and negative.

All tickets closed by this release

Edit: 1.80 beta 2 is now available.
Edit: 1.80 beta 3 is now available.
Edit: 1.80 beta 4 is now available.
Edit: 1.80 beta 5 is now available.
Fiete5401

Re: Transmission 1.80 beta 1

Post by Fiete5401 »

Multiple tracker support is crazy good!
ixakep

Post by ixakep »

Tracker status bug
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

ixakep: Only English is supported in the beta.
ixakep

Post by ixakep »

i know, but this bug does not depend from language.
When i choose 1 tracker - all viewing information is ok
When i choose second tracker - information from 1 tracker cover second tracker information,
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

What do you mean it does not depend from language? This does not occur in English. That's not even the proper 1.8 tracker window.
unblocktheplanet

Post by unblocktheplanet »

I just downloaded and installed Transmission 1.80b1 from Macupdate. I'm not much an early adopter by nature but I was eager for the new version for DHT and magnet link support (technicalities of which I must admit I know nothing) as torrent trackers everywhere are under assault.

v.1.76 was happily downloading. Now that I've installed 1.80b1, all downloads and uploads are stuck firmly at ZERO!

Am I missing some vital setup information? Or...have those fiendish capitalists posted spamware/malware/or just plain don't-workware?!?

Any help appreciated.

CJ Hinke
Bangkok Thailand
unblocktheplanetATgmailDOTcom
demons33derxx

Post by demons33derxx »

Great news. Congrats. Will download this and actively use it. See if I can find anything to report.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

unblocktheplanet: Could you come onto our irc room on freenode #transmission so we can actively try to figure this out.
slyborg

Re: Inspector pane changes

Post by slyborg »

Why was the Peers interface of the Inspector changed? This previously had pretty much all the relevant information for the torrent in one place, now the summary of Total Seeders, Total Leechers, and Total Downloaded is in the Tracker Inspector pane. Also the new 2-line centered format is harder to read.

Regression, in my opinion. The information previously displayed was readable, and relevant to that Inspector tab. I almost exclusively use the Peers tab to monitor the detail on a running torrent, things like the Pieces display are cute but don't tell me what I want to know - who's connected and what is their status.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

If we're getting the stats from multiple trackers, how can we display a single value for seeders, leechers, and DL count? Adding them together doesn't work - there are a lot of clients announcing to multiple trackers (including Transmission now). Displaying from a random tracker isn't a good option either.
slyborg

Post by slyborg »

So I gather that 1.76 and previous are doing this wrong? Or just displaying for the first tracker?

I would assume you could collect the entire peer list from all trackers and discard duplicates to obtain a correct count. I would agree this seems like a lot of work for this information. As an approximation, assuming that peers all try to announce to as many trackers as they can contact, could just divide the total peer count by the number of trackers.

For Total Downloaded, that is just a sum, is it not?
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

slyborg wrote:So I gather that 1.76 and previous are doing this wrong? Or just displaying for the first tracker?

I would assume you could collect the entire peer list from all trackers and discard duplicates to obtain a correct count. I would agree this seems like a lot of work for this information. As an approximation, assuming that peers all try to announce to as many trackers as they can contact, could just divide the total peer count by the number of trackers.

For Total Downloaded, that is just a sum, is it not?
Those stats still overlap. 1.7x did not announce to multiple trackers so its information was more accurate. 1.7x would only ask one single tracker from the entire list and announce to it only. Transmission asks for 200 peers from each tracker per announce. It'd be a huge waste of bandwidth to get all the peers and I don't think the trackers would happily give that. All the individual peers you know of will be listed in the peers area of the Inspector under "known". This removes duplicates. These stats aren't very useful anyway.

"As an approximation, assuming that peers all try to announce to as many trackers as they can contact, could just divide the total peer count by the number of trackers." That would give us the average number of users per tracker but it's unrealistic. Clients that only announce to one tracker will announce to the first one on the list if it works.

"For Total Downloaded, that is just a sum, is it not?" Again, a single peer will announce to all its trackers that it has finished the download so one peer may show up as 5 different individuals if you combine all the scrape info.
nomulous

Post by nomulous »

I would like to convey my absolute sincerest thanks for this update. The magnet links are especially appreciated. You, kind sirs, are gentlemen and scholars.
demons33derxx

Post by demons33derxx »

I think the add trackers tab should use some method of indication (print $linenumber,highlight, arrow, color change, etc) to alert to which specific trackers it considers invalid as I noticed that if the tracker is legit, but has some minor oversight like either UDP or say an extra space after the url on the line the program will display a rather the "Invalid Tracker" error box with no supporting information to figure out the reason why or identify.